Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Codemunchkin
Frequent Visitor

Merging Table is Skipping Rows

Hi,

I am merging 2 tables on an index, once merge takes place the final table has missing/incorrect values in the first few rows. I am not sure why it's doing that. I have attached the file. 

This is the look up table:

Codemunchkin_0-1635548009426.png

This is the merged table before I expand the column:

Codemunchkin_1-1635548118495.png

The merge is happening on Index column(look up table) and Custom Index column in the other table.

Now after expanding the column I get this:

Codemunchkin_2-1635548229265.png

I am not sure what I am doing wrong here, any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance! I have attached the excel file aswell!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZjFGxXDmSNK_Tkg4KRsbL6Hia2kwYtUJ/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=10439...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

So I looked at your file and your "Do Not Touch - Custom Index for Data" query looks like it's almost what you're looking for. If you sort by [Index], then you do get ABC, CBA, BBB repeat.

It's not skipping rows (check the row count), it's just not putting them in the order you expect.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Vera_33
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Codemunchkin 

How did you do the merge? And what are the expected results? Like this?

Vera_33_0-1635553975665.png

Your Transpose table only contains 3 rows? Then merged on Index column?

Vera_33_1-1635554027866.png

I have these two tables, you can paste in Advanced Editor via blank query

Transpose

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WCilKzCsuyC9OVYrViVZydHLWcXZy1HFyclKKjQUA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t]),
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Source, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"Transpose", type text}}),
    #"Trimmed Text" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Changed Type",{{"Transpose", each Text.Split(_,",")}}),
    #"Expanded Transpose" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Trimmed Text", "Transpose"),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Expanded Transpose", "Index", 1, 1, Int64.Type)
in
    #"Added Index"

Table

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WCilKzCsuyC9OVYrViVZydHLWcXZy1HFyclKKjQUA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t]),
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Source, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"Transpose", type text}}),
    #"Trimmed Text" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Changed Type",{{"Transpose", each Text.Split(_,",")}}),
    #"Expanded Transpose" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Trimmed Text", "Transpose"),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Expanded Transpose", "Index", 1, 1, Int64.Type)
in
    #"Added Index"

Hi,

Both of your queries output the same table. I think you sent the same code twice.

So I edited the question a bit, the merge is happening on Index column(look up table) and Custom Index column in the other table. The resultant table should be matching with custom index column and outputting the column Transpose.

The merge was an inner merge.

The custom index column is different from index column!

You see custom index column goes from 1 to 3 and then repeats, the merge should be on those values, but when I expand the Tranpose column then values are not in the same order!

Codemunchkin_1-1635555569481.png

This is what ends up happening, it should be ABC, CBA, BBB then repeat

Codemunchkin_2-1635555699446.png

So I looked at your file and your "Do Not Touch - Custom Index for Data" query looks like it's almost what you're looking for. If you sort by [Index], then you do get ABC, CBA, BBB repeat.

It's not skipping rows (check the row count), it's just not putting them in the order you expect.

Hi @Codemunchkin 

I think @AlexisOlson  has answered your question, it did not skip your rows, just simply did not appear in the order of your original Index, you can sort it. I use Index column to sort all the time as I can't control the order

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors