Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BKnecht
Helper II
Helper II

Merging PowerBI Files

Can I mrege PowerBI Files? For example, we have 3 different people working to create a dashboard in PowerBI. Can each of us create a component in separate files and then merge the 3 files?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Depends on what you mean by "merge". Each of you are essentially creating reports from a data source in PBIX files. You can upload all 3 files, and the corresponding reports - and there will be 3 different datasets/reports. But you can combine all those reports by pinning visuals from each of the 3 reports to the same dashboard. (thus, "Merging" the reports)

If that's not what you have in mind, can you clarify a bit more?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ashishrj
Power Participant
Power Participant

@BKnecht Another option would be to create a dataset and share it using content packs so that every individual can create theie own set of report and pin visualization to dashboard and later publish again to reflect the updated dashboard.

Even groups have a very good feature of sharing dashboard to users outside group. Group will help users work on single set of dataset/reports/dashboards

Depends on what you mean by "merge". Each of you are essentially creating reports from a data source in PBIX files. You can upload all 3 files, and the corresponding reports - and there will be 3 different datasets/reports. But you can combine all those reports by pinning visuals from each of the 3 reports to the same dashboard. (thus, "Merging" the reports)

If that's not what you have in mind, can you clarify a bit more?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Hi Eno, thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

That does make snese, but the only problem is that, if I pin visuals from each of the reports into one dashboard, and then want to drill down into the visualizations, it will take me to the report for that specific visualization (instead of just one report). Basically, all 3 of us will be working on building different visualizations that all involve the same set of data. Once each of us is done, we would like to merge all of our work into one report.

So, I guess the real question is, can I merge the 3 reports that each of us create into one report, so that when someone drills into any of the visualizations, it takes them to one report?

Thanks again for your input.

I was told that drill into functionality does not work in a dashboard only in reports.  How are you getting drill into functionality to work in dashboards.  I am creating the reports with drill into functionality and then pinning the reports to a dashboards.  The dashboards with pinned reports have lost the drill into functionality.

You could accomplish this in the site by creating a Group, but the caveat with that is there is no way currently to save the reports you create (if you wanted a backup or local copy). If you're willing to go without that, use a group workspace, pull in the dataset, create one report, and all of you can work on the same report at the same time.

You can also now share dashboards from a group (which is a new feature).

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors