Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Merge two tables with new or updated row values

I have a `History table` in an Excel sheet that i want to merge with a `Salesforce table` (connection only) that refreshes and brings in New or Updated rows. I found this article interesting, but it requires both the tables to have the same number of columns. It also uses an `Anti-join` and displays only any new or updated rows as a `new table` in an Excel sheet. I want to update this `History table` with new or changed data, instead of creating a new table.

The `History table` has 14 columns ie. 11 standard columns and 3 Manual entry columns.

WB Study ID
Commissioning Country
Project Name
Field Start Date
Study Delivery Date
Client
Local Amount
Local Currency
IBP
Finance Coordinator
Study Status
Manual col 1
Manual col 2
Manual col 3

The `Saleforce table` has say 11 columns that match with the `History table`.

WB Study ID
Commissioning Country
Project Name
Field Start Date
Study Delivery Date
Client
Local Amount
Local Currency
IBP
Finance Coordinator
Study Status

I only want the new or updated rows to show up in the `History table` using a `Left or Right Outer Join`, leaving the additional 3 manual-entry columns blank.

The M-code that is interesting for the `History table` from the article and that which i want to change to only pick values from the 1st 11 columns (excluding the 3 manual-entry columns), is this one:

= Table.AddColumn(ReorderedColumns, "HistoryKey", each Text.Combine(
                List.Transform(

Record.FieldValues(_), 
                    each Replacer.ReplaceValue(
                        Text.From(_),
                        null,
                        "")),
                ";"))

However, it picks up and concatenates the row values from all the History table columns and not just the first 11 columns to create a `History Key` column that is then used in Merge.

Eventually what i want to do is:

- create a "New Key" column (using above code) in `Salesforce table`

- create a "History Key" column (using above code) in `History table`

- Merge the 2 tables on these keys that should update the `History table` with new or updated rows.

- finally delete the "History key" column from the `History table`

- dump the `History table` back to the same worksheet (i.e. update the worksheet table)

Any help would be most appreciated in making this happen.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous 

As you have another post discussing this problem, can you please close this one? Do you need further help with this post?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AlexisOlson this is the same issue. Can you help me with this one if its possible?

Not easily without an actual file to work with. (Dummy data is fine.)

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have tagged in another similar post, where i have shared screenshots to the best of my knowledge. Would that work for you?

Edit: I have also attached a GDrive link to Sample workbook now in that post.

Hi @Anonymous 

As you have another post discussing this problem, can you please close this one? Do you need further help with this post?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing

Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone who can help quickly with this issue?

wdx223_Daniel
Super User
Super User

try this code:

NewStep=HistoryTable&Table.RemoveMatchingRows(SalesforceTable,Table.ToRecords(Table.SelectColumns(HistoryTable,Table.ColumnNames(SalesforceTable))))

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @wdx223_Daniel i have updated my post to make it more column listing the columns from both tables. Let me know if you need anything else.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @wdx223_Daniel , where do i put this step? If i put in History table, it gives `Expression.Error: A cyclic reference was encountered during evaluation.`

Basically, i want to modify the above m-code (in my post) for that extra `HistoryKey` column in History table, which will only contain values from the 1st 12 rows, excluding the remaining 19 (right now, it is picking up all 31 column values). This way, i would be able to merge new/updated data from Salesforce table into the History table on the New key & History key (as they would contain only the values from the 1st 12 columns and good to match).

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors