Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Merge two rows based on conditions using Power Query

Hi,

I'm hoping that somebody on here can help me as I've been unable to find a way to do this in Power Query and don't know enough about M Code to be able to obtain my desired solution.

I've attached a sample picture showing my starting data, in the left-hand table, as imported into Power Query and the desired result in the table in the right-hand table.

There are some rows that should be transferred directly (example being the row dated 23/07/2018) but some rows need to be combined (example being 20/07/2018 with the row below). I've tried to show this with the arrows.

The best explanation that I can give is that the rows that need to be combined have, in the first row that needs to be combined, a blank cell in both [Column 5] and [Column 6] and a blank on the second row in [Column 2]. Rows that should be transposed directly have data in [Column 2] and [Column 5] and OR [Column 6] exclusively - not both.

I hope that I've been clear enough and that one of you guys can help me with this frustrating puzzle. If it can be done using the standard editor I'd be interested to see how but I'd like to see the M Code so that I can learn how to achieve this too!

Screenshot.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,
please check the enclosed file for the solution as well:

// Table1
let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type datetime}, {"Column2", type text}, {"Column3", type text}, {"Column4", type datetime}, {"Column5", type number}, {"Column6", type number}, {"Column7", type number}}),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Changed Type", "Index", 0, 1, Int64.Type),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Index", "EntryIndex", each if [Column5] = null and [Column6] = null then null else [Index]),
    #"Filled Up" = Table.FillUp(#"Added Custom",{"EntryIndex"}),
    #"Replaced Value1" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Filled Up",null, each [Index],Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"EntryIndex"}),
    #"Filled Down" = Table.FillDown(#"Replaced Value1",{"Column1", "Column2"}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Filled Down", {"EntryIndex"}, {{"Column1", each List.Min([Column1]), type nullable datetime}, {"Column2", each List.Min([Column2]), type nullable text}, {"Column5", each List.Sum([Column5]), type nullable number}, {"Column6", each List.Sum([Column6]), type nullable number}, {"Column3", each Text.Combine(_[Column3], " ")}}),
    #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Grouped Rows",null,0,Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"Column5", "Column6"}),
    #"Inserted Addition" = Table.AddColumn(#"Replaced Value", "Value", each [Column6] - [Column5], type number),
    Custom1 = fnRunningTotal( #"Inserted Addition", "EntryIndex", "Value")
in
    Custom1

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,
please check the enclosed file for the solution as well:

// Table1
let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type datetime}, {"Column2", type text}, {"Column3", type text}, {"Column4", type datetime}, {"Column5", type number}, {"Column6", type number}, {"Column7", type number}}),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Changed Type", "Index", 0, 1, Int64.Type),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Index", "EntryIndex", each if [Column5] = null and [Column6] = null then null else [Index]),
    #"Filled Up" = Table.FillUp(#"Added Custom",{"EntryIndex"}),
    #"Replaced Value1" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Filled Up",null, each [Index],Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"EntryIndex"}),
    #"Filled Down" = Table.FillDown(#"Replaced Value1",{"Column1", "Column2"}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Filled Down", {"EntryIndex"}, {{"Column1", each List.Min([Column1]), type nullable datetime}, {"Column2", each List.Min([Column2]), type nullable text}, {"Column5", each List.Sum([Column5]), type nullable number}, {"Column6", each List.Sum([Column6]), type nullable number}, {"Column3", each Text.Combine(_[Column3], " ")}}),
    #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Grouped Rows",null,0,Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"Column5", "Column6"}),
    #"Inserted Addition" = Table.AddColumn(#"Replaced Value", "Value", each [Column6] - [Column5], type number),
    Custom1 = fnRunningTotal( #"Inserted Addition", "EntryIndex", "Value")
in
    Custom1

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

you picture gives a good explanation, but it would be best if you would have included sample data as well.
So without I can just give you instructions about the steps:

1. Add an index column
  2. Check Column1 and Column2 and replace blanks by null 
  3. Add a custom column: if [Column2] = null then null else [Index]
  4. Check Column1 and fill down values
  5. Multiply Column5 by -1
  6. Group on the column you created in step 3
  7. Use the SUM-Operation on the amount fields, MAX on Column1 and Column2 and add an ALL operation for the concatenation of the Description field
  8. In the ALL operation replace "each _" by "each Text.Combine(_[Column3], " ") - that will combine the fields of all rows within the group.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @ImkeF ,

Firstly, a huge thank you for your reply; I've added a sample table in a new thread (even adding this isn't straight-forward! And thanks for your guidance in how to do this too!), taken by importing a pdf into Power Query and then loading it directly as a table into Excel.  The table is the export to Excel, loaded here directly.  I'm going to follow the steps that you've described above to see if I can follow your explanation but I thought I would also load the sample table as I suspect I will do something incorrectly!  Hopefully, with the "raw" data as taken from the pdf and loaded as a table, you might be able to walk me through the steps also so that I can actually see what I will have done incorrectly!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @ImkeF,

I believe I've managed to find the correct way to add the Sample Table; hope this might help you to help me!! Again huge thank you for your help!

Column1Column2Column3Column4Column5Column6Column7
19/07/2018TFRBalance brought forward
111111 22222222
  INTERNAL TRANSFER  2001041.38
20/07/2018VISKANOO   1041.38
  FOREIGN EXCHA 205.39 835.99
23/07/2018DDAVRO ENERGY LTD 79 756.99
25/07/2018ATMCASH HANCO01/07/2025   
  MITIE @10:33 60 696.99
26/07/2018ATMCASH BANK JUL26    
  ASDA RY@08:53 60 636.99
27/07/2018CRSALARY  4048.76 
 CRSALARY  994.295680.04
28/07/2018ATMCASH BANK JUL28    
  ASDA RY@09:02 200 5480.04
30/07/2018SOFRED BLOGGS    
  FRED 30 5450.04
01/08/2018DDINSURANCE C/L 27  
 DDINSURANCE C/L 10.15  
 DDTV LICENCE MBP 12.07  
 DDCREDIT CARD 2180.04  
 DDHOUSE INS 45.38  
 SOBROWN RJ&F    
  SAVINGS 1050  
 SOBROWN R&F    
  77777777 10  
 SOBROWN R&F    
  RJ BROWN 20  
 SOFRED R BROWN    
  999999999 50  
 SOVOYAGER EXPLORER    
  FRED BLOGGS 8.75 2036.65
02/08/2018DDMOBILE LTD 20.68 2015.97
03/08/2018 Balance carried forward   2015.97

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors