Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Merge rows for more than one level of duplicated data

Hello,

I've managed to merge + group by line break to one level of duplicative data (Location, phone number) to form the following: 

Name

Phone number

Purchase

Sales Rep

Client A

NY

Product 1

Product 2

Product 3

Rep 1

Rep 2

Rep 1

Client A

OH

Product 2

Product 3

Product 4

Rep 5

Rep 2

Rep 3

Client B

CA

Product 4

Product 4

Product 6

Rep 7

Rep 2

Rep 3

Client B

TX

Product 1

Product 5

Product 6

Rep 3

Rep 1

Rep 5

And would like to check if the next level of duplicative data (Name) can be merged as follows:

Name

Phone number

Purchase

Sales Rep

Client A

NY

Product 1

Product 2

Product 3

Rep 1

Rep 2

Rep 1

OH

Product 2

Product 3

Product 4

Rep 5

Rep 2

Rep 3

Client B

CA

Product 4

Product 4

Product 6

Rep 7

Rep 2

Rep 3

TX

Product 1

Product 5

Product 6

Rep 3

Rep 1

Rep 5

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, @Anonymous 

Yes, you need to create an index column first, and then create a custom column. After the customization is completed, you can delete the original 'name' column, and then rename the custom column to 'name'.

Here are my sample code:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45Wcs7JTM0rUXBU0lHyiwQShkbGJqZAOqAoP6U0ucRYISi1wDAmD8o1AnGN4FywrLFSrA6KOf4eQMLIxNTMHGEOWKMpmkY41wTDHCegVmeQYSampmZmCHPAKs1RNRoRMCckAkiYAs1B8pchqgNMUb1pBnatUmwsAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Name = _t, Location = _t, #"Phone number" = _t, #"Purchase#(lf)#(lf)Sales Rep" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Name", type text}, {"Location", type text}, {"Phone number", Int64.Type}, {"Purchase#(lf)#(lf)Sales Rep", type text}}),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Changed Type", "Index", 0, 1, Int64.Type),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Index", "Custom", each let 
tab = Table.Group(#"Added Index", {"Name"}, {{"Custom", each List.Max([Index]), type number}})
in 
if 
List.Contains(tab[Custom],[Index])
then 
"" 
else 
[Name]),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom",{"Name"}),
    #"Reordered Columns" = Table.ReorderColumns(#"Removed Columns",{"Custom", "Location", "Phone number", "Purchase#(lf)#(lf)Sales Rep", "Index"}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Reordered Columns",{{"Custom", "Name"}})
in
    #"Renamed Columns"

If it doesn’t solve your problem, please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards

Janey Guo

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

It’s my pleasure to answer for you.

According to your description, I think you may do some transformations to meet your requirement.

You can add a custom column to replace the raw ‘name’ column.

Like this:

v-janeyg-msft_0-1603762610319.png

v-janeyg-msft_1-1603762610321.png

Here is my .pbix file. Hope this helps.

Best Regards

Janey Guo

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Janey @v-janeyg-msft 

Thank you for the solution, I cannot seem to open your PBI file due to versioning issues. 

Do I need to include a pre-defined Index column, because when I include the same custom column I get an error saying the Index is not found. 

Alternatively, perhaps you can share the full transformation code here that would be great.

Thanks again!

Hi, @Anonymous 

Yes, you need to create an index column first, and then create a custom column. After the customization is completed, you can delete the original 'name' column, and then rename the custom column to 'name'.

Here are my sample code:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45Wcs7JTM0rUXBU0lHyiwQShkbGJqZAOqAoP6U0ucRYISi1wDAmD8o1AnGN4FywrLFSrA6KOf4eQMLIxNTMHGEOWKMpmkY41wTDHCegVmeQYSampmZmCHPAKs1RNRoRMCckAkiYAs1B8pchqgNMUb1pBnatUmwsAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Name = _t, Location = _t, #"Phone number" = _t, #"Purchase#(lf)#(lf)Sales Rep" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Name", type text}, {"Location", type text}, {"Phone number", Int64.Type}, {"Purchase#(lf)#(lf)Sales Rep", type text}}),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Changed Type", "Index", 0, 1, Int64.Type),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Index", "Custom", each let 
tab = Table.Group(#"Added Index", {"Name"}, {{"Custom", each List.Max([Index]), type number}})
in 
if 
List.Contains(tab[Custom],[Index])
then 
"" 
else 
[Name]),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom",{"Name"}),
    #"Reordered Columns" = Table.ReorderColumns(#"Removed Columns",{"Custom", "Location", "Phone number", "Purchase#(lf)#(lf)Sales Rep", "Index"}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Reordered Columns",{{"Custom", "Name"}})
in
    #"Renamed Columns"

Best Regards

Janey Guo

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @v-janeyg-msft 

The indexing part helped to address the issue. Appreciate the help!

CNENFRNL
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, @Anonymous , do you need such a conversion?

Untitled.png

If so, Pivot table in Excel is enough to do the trick with ease after a bit of very fundamental transformation in Power Query. You might want to refer to the attach Excel for details.

Untitled.png

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

DAX is simple, but NOT EASY!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @CNENFRNL , however my main table has about 20 data columns so it becomes less wieldy when stacked up in a pivot table and I was hoping for a way to make the changes directly via Power Query.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry the HTML formatting makes the table look rather convoluted. The second table is the same as the first, with both Client A rows merged & both Client B rows merged.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors