Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

marktvc
Helper I
Helper I

Merge data without loading both tables

Hi All,

I looking for an option to load data from to SQL tables in to one FACT table withouth having to load the second table.

I have used the "Merge Query" option, but that requires the second table to be loaded.  Is there code which can be added to the Advanced editor or in custom columns

An example of what I'm looking to achieve

Table 1

UIDFnameSname
001JohnSmith
002JaneDoe
003MikeJones

Table 2

UIDTable1UIDQual
500001BSc
501002Dip
502003N/A

Desired outcome is only one Fact Table:

UIDFnameSnameQaul
001JohnSmithBSc
002JaneDoeDip
003MikeJonesN/A

The primary reason for this is there is a lot of data in Table 2 which is sensitive and prefer not to have loaded in anyway shape or form.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @marktvc 

what is wrong in using the merge? However you have to load the second table in one way to other. And even if you merging both tables, and extracting only one column of your second table, Power query will not load all the second table but only the columns needed. How is the performance?

If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@marktvc 
You cannot not merge without having both tables in power bi, the workaround is only if you can merge the tables in datasource e.g. SQL database or Excel, then load the merged table in power bi.

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @marktvc 

what is wrong in using the merge? However you have to load the second table in one way to other. And even if you merging both tables, and extracting only one column of your second table, Power query will not load all the second table but only the columns needed. How is the performance?

If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors