Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

iWonder
Helper I
Helper I

Merge Queries with an IF

Thank you for taking the time to read my question.

I am brand new to Power Query... let's start there...

I have Merged 2 queries in Power Query and have added a Parameter.

One query is a list of users and what customers they have access to, the second query is a list of all the month end data for each customer for each month. The queries are joined on customer name. This way if I filter the user table, the summary table is filtered.

Person A can only see Customer A

Person B can only see Customer B

Person C can see ALL records

If I merge the queries, it works if I enter person A's email address into the parameter because they have actual customer names, but if I put in Person C's email address nothing is returned because they have "ALL" instead of a Customer Name

User           Company

Person A    Customer A

Person B    Customer B

Person C    ALL

= Table.NestedJoin(FlockSummary, {"Title"}, Users, {"CustomerAccess"}, "Users", JoinKind.Inner)

iWonder_0-1627416643885.png

How do I say to the merge, if the User Company = "ALL" then show everything, else show where they are equal?

Once I have this, I'll figure out how to pass an email address to the parameter from Excel

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
wdx223_Daniel
Super User
Super User

Table.SelectRows(FlockSummary,each if Users[CustomerAccess]{0}="ALL" then true else [Title]= Users[CustomerAccess]{0})

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
wdx223_Daniel
Super User
Super User

Table.SelectRows(FlockSummary,each if Users[CustomerAccess]{0}="ALL" then true else [Title]= Users[CustomerAccess]{0})

Hi @wdx223_Daniel 

Thank you so much for your reply and for the formula.

I'm not sure where to put that... do I put it in place of the merged query initial step? Do I add it as a new step to my FlockSummary query (if so, how do you add a new step?)?

Thanks again for your help

Hi @wdx223_Daniel 

Thank you so much for your reply and for the formula.

I'm not sure where to put that... do I put it in place of the merged query initial step? Do I add it as a new step to my FlockSummary query (if so, how do you add a new step?)?

Thanks again for your help

Hi @wdx223_Daniel 

After some more thinking, I've selected my FlockSummary query and clicked the fx button. When I do that I get

= #"some big long guid"

I replaced that with your formula.

Then I get "Expression.Error: A cyclic reference was encountered during evaluation."

I must be doing something wrong

Hi @wdx223_Daniel 

I'm continuing to play around with this and I sorted a column to see the code generated.

= Table.SelectRows(#"BIG LONG GUID", each ([Title] = "users email address here...") and ([CustomerAccess] = "ALL"))

I filtered the Users query by Title (which is email address [took it out for privacy]) and the CustomerAccess column.

The spot where the table name goes is a BIG LONG GUID. If I change that to Users and click the check mark, I get an error:

"Expression.Error: A cyclic reference was encountered during evaluation"

Do I need to do a rename somewhere?

Thanks

OK I got it!

I did a Merge Queries as New from the Home tab. It generated the code. I then replaced the generated code with the formula you sent and I'm in business!

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors