Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vsolanon
Frequent Visitor

Merge Queries is not populating the information for 3 Queries

Hi Experts!

I am creating my first Dashbord combining 3 SharePoint lists. My main issue is that when I try to merge  the third Query, the new Query created  is not populating any information.

Kindly note the Query1 and Query2 have a column named IDData, within this column is an identifier I created to connect them. Also, Query2 and Query3 have a column named IDRotation, whithin this column is an identified to connect them.

Please find below the steps followed:

- I merged the Query1 and the Query2 and create a new Query named "MergedQuery"

- I merged two dates column within the Query3 and create a new column named "RotationDates"

- I "Group By" the Query3 and create a new column named MyTable

powerbi1.JPG

-I add a new Custom Column named "Total Rotation Dates"

powerbi2.JPG

- Then I delete the column "MyTable" in order to have only 2 columns and select "Extract Values" (up to here everything it good)

powerbi3.JPG

- After I have all the table consolidated, I merged this Query3 with the Query "MergedQuery", however for some reason the information is not being populated 😞

powerbi4.JPG

Coul you please guide me how can I achive this.

Thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @vsolanon , 

According to your description,  which step will cause abve error? Did you click the error to see the detailed error information? If you want to use M code in your last step, you don't need to expand the list("Total Rotation Dates"). Or you could expand it like below. You could try it to see whether it work or not

633.PNG

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
edhans
Super User
Super User

1. Click in the My Table column in the area next to the word Table and look below. Confirm the data in the table is valid.
    1. 2020-03-24 19_34_07-Table1 - Power Query Editor.png
  2. Do the same for the List column. Is the list valid before you extract?
    1. 2020-03-24 19_34_27-Table1 - Power Query Editor.png

If those are ok. I'm gonna need more info. Maybe a paste of the M code using the Code box.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Hi @edhans  the M Code of the last step I applied is:

= Table.TransformColumns(#"Removed Columns1", {"Total Rotation Dates", each Text.Combine(List.Transform(_, Text.From), " , "), type text})

dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @vsolanon , 

According to your description,  which step will cause abve error? Did you click the error to see the detailed error information? If you want to use M code in your last step, you don't need to expand the list("Total Rotation Dates"). Or you could expand it like below. You could try it to see whether it work or not

633.PNG

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

vsolanon
Frequent Visitor

Hi @edhans @dax @dax thank you both for the suggestions!

Kindly note I follow your recommendations and noticed the error was becauase the "IDRotation"  column was not in Text Format. After updating the "IDRotation"  column in both Queries, I was able to merged them and create a new query with the information combined.

I am new in PowerBi and just learn new things each day 🙂

Thank you!

Great. Data types are critical and can cause all sorts of issues if not set up properly, especially for merges and relationships in the model.

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Hi @edhans  thank you for the information,

Kindly note I verified both columns and noticed the data of the table is valid. Please see imaged below,

powerbi1.JPGpowerbi2.JPG

Could you please confirm where I can verify the M code using the code box? I am new in PowerBi and I am afraid I do not know what that is.  🙂

Thank you!

Try wrapping your penultimate statement with Table.Buffer() before expanding.

The code box is a toolbar icon looks like </> - I’m on my phone so not 100% sure that is the exact symbol.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I think this would be easier if you pasted the text from the Advanced Editor @ImkeF , @edhans 

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi @Greg_Deckler the formula used is:   Table.Column([MyTable], "RotationDates")

Please let me know if any further information is required,

Thanks! 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors