Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

johnkorten

Merge 2 tables into 1 overview

Good evening,

I want to merge table 1 and table 2 into 1 overview.

But there is not a normal relation between the 2 tables.

Sources:

Table 1

FileIDSupplier
LFI223081Dunga-dunga
LFI223747Sonac-Gent
LFI224207Trob-Dong
LFI225815Moyp-Ballym
LFI225820Dunga-Dunga

Table 2

SupplieractiveFFAPHNPHPENi
Dunga-dungano5201539700
Sonac-Gentyes110520550
Trob-Dongyes35040120
Moyp-Ballymyes6300250351000
Dunga-dungayes4251040650

New overview

FileID          SupplierFFAPHNPHPENi
LFI223081Dunga-dunga4251040650
LFI223747Sonac-Gent110520550
LFI224207Trob-Dong35040120
LFI225815Moyp-Ballym6300250351000
LFI225820Dunga-Dunga4251040650

What I want:

Combine table 1 and 2.

In table 2 there are a lot lines with the same supplier.

But in table 2 there is only 1 active line per supplier.

So i need to combine the active line and get them as above overview.

Can someone help me with this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @johnkorten 

first you need to filter your second table to delete inactive suppliers. As you want to compare this two columns ignoring the case, you need to add a new column where you filter the second table, ignoring the case. Here an example

let
    Table1 = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45W8nHzNDIyNrAwVNJRcinNS0/UTQGRSrE6MDlzE3OgXHB+XmKyrntqXglCysTIACQVUpSfpOuSn5eOkDG1MDQFyvjmVxboOiXm5FTmIssZGcAtc4FYFgsA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [FileID = _t, Supplier = _t]),
    Table2 = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WcinNS0/UTQGRSjpKeflAwhSIjQyAhCGIZWwJJMwNDJRidaKVgvPzEpN13VPzSoCClanFIEUgbICszdQUojikKD9J1yU/Lx2u1hgkC1JiYgDVaQRR6ptfWaDrlJiTU5kLV2wG0mAAUmgE1mNsCrYJ6hJUd0N0mIDVwtwDtsMM5JZYAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Supplier = _t, active = _t, FFA = _t, PH = _t, NPH = _t, PE = _t, Ni = _t]),
    FilterTable2 = Table.SelectRows(Table2, each ([active] = "yes")),
    JoinTable1WithTable2 = Table.AddColumn
    (
        Table1,
        "Table2",
        (row)=> Table.SelectRows(FilterTable2, each if Comparer.OrdinalIgnoreCase([Supplier],row[Supplier])=0 then true else false)
    ),
    #"Expanded Table2" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(JoinTable1WithTable2, "Table2", {"active", "FFA", "PH", "NPH", "PE", "Ni"}, {"active", "FFA", "PH", "NPH", "PE", "Ni"})
in 
    #"Expanded Table2"

Copy paste this code to the advanced editor in a new blank query to see how the solution works.

If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @johnkorten 

first you need to filter your second table to delete inactive suppliers. As you want to compare this two columns ignoring the case, you need to add a new column where you filter the second table, ignoring the case. Here an example

let
    Table1 = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45W8nHzNDIyNrAwVNJRcinNS0/UTQGRSrE6MDlzE3OgXHB+XmKyrntqXglCysTIACQVUpSfpOuSn5eOkDG1MDQFyvjmVxboOiXm5FTmIssZGcAtc4FYFgsA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [FileID = _t, Supplier = _t]),
    Table2 = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WcinNS0/UTQGRSjpKeflAwhSIjQyAhCGIZWwJJMwNDJRidaKVgvPzEpN13VPzSoCClanFIEUgbICszdQUojikKD9J1yU/Lx2u1hgkC1JiYgDVaQRR6ptfWaDrlJiTU5kLV2wG0mAAUmgE1mNsCrYJ6hJUd0N0mIDVwtwDtsMM5JZYAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Supplier = _t, active = _t, FFA = _t, PH = _t, NPH = _t, PE = _t, Ni = _t]),
    FilterTable2 = Table.SelectRows(Table2, each ([active] = "yes")),
    JoinTable1WithTable2 = Table.AddColumn
    (
        Table1,
        "Table2",
        (row)=> Table.SelectRows(FilterTable2, each if Comparer.OrdinalIgnoreCase([Supplier],row[Supplier])=0 then true else false)
    ),
    #"Expanded Table2" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(JoinTable1WithTable2, "Table2", {"active", "FFA", "PH", "NPH", "PE", "Ni"}, {"active", "FFA", "PH", "NPH", "PE", "Ni"})
in 
    #"Expanded Table2"

Copy paste this code to the advanced editor in a new blank query to see how the solution works.

If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @johnkorten 

I don't see thelogic of how the Dunga-dunga rows are connetced between the tables.  How do I know which row in Table 2 joins to which row in table 1?

Phil

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors