Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Many tasks mashup.container.netfx40.exe - so much RAM

Hi everyone!

When some scheduled updates run on the Power BI online service, I see on the server many tasks named "mashup.container.netfx40.exe" that consume too much RAM and the server slows down.

MicrosoftTeams-image.png

I have been looking for info and unchecking the options "Allow data preview to download in the background" and "Enable parallel loading tables" didn't work for me.

Any idea?
Thanks!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

Based on the above screenshot, Power BI gateway is consuming most Memory in your computer during the scheduled update process, which has nothing to do with the settings your configure in Power BI Desktop.

During the update process, if you have data refreshes that do a lot of transformations in the Query Editor engine within Power BI gateway, it will use significant CPU & Memory on your server. If you have multiple imported datasets and large data models, and your datasets are refreshed several times each day, the gateway can have large impact on performance of your server. In this case, consider to add extra memory to your computer.

You can review the following blog about that how Power BI gateway affect performance in the server.
http://www.fourmoo.com/2017/03/21/power-bi-gateway-infographic/

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

@Anonymous,

Consider to add more RAM to your computer as your dataset has a lot of transformations and multiple datasets are refreshed at the same time. Also the interval of start updated time for different datasets is only 0.5 hour, which will impact performance on your server.

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

Based on the above screenshot, Power BI gateway is consuming most Memory in your computer during the scheduled update process, which has nothing to do with the settings your configure in Power BI Desktop.

During the update process, if you have data refreshes that do a lot of transformations in the Query Editor engine within Power BI gateway, it will use significant CPU & Memory on your server. If you have multiple imported datasets and large data models, and your datasets are refreshed several times each day, the gateway can have large impact on performance of your server. In this case, consider to add extra memory to your computer.

You can review the following blog about that how Power BI gateway affect performance in the server.
http://www.fourmoo.com/2017/03/21/power-bi-gateway-infographic/

Regards,
Lydia

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft,

My dataset is only one table but with a lot of tranformations in the Query Editor.
By circumstances, I have the same dashboard several times with the information filtered in each of them for different clients.
Each of these dashboards is scheduled to update every 3 hours, but are not scheduled to start updating at the same time.
For example: Five of them starts at 12:00 p.m. , other four at 12:30 p.m. and others at 13:00 p.m.

I don't know if this could create some kind of process queue that slow down the server.

Thanks for the info, I will read it.

@Anonymous,

Consider to add more RAM to your computer as your dataset has a lot of transformations and multiple datasets are refreshed at the same time. Also the interval of start updated time for different datasets is only 0.5 hour, which will impact performance on your server.

Regards,
Lydia

Anonymous
Not applicable

I try all your advices @v-yuezhe-msft and I'll send you some feedback.

Thanks Lydia.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors