Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

samaresh
Frequent Visitor

Make dynamic oData souce

I want to develop a power BI app. To do this using power BI desktop i have prepare a pbix file where have 3 queries that return from sharepoient list using end point "/_vti_bin/ListData.svc". Usig this data i have prepared visualization and different report that show the data from my test environment. I am able to publish power BI app from powerbi.com but problem is it is showing my test data. I want user will provide the data souce url and show report with their own data not test data. 

I have created a parameter for source and give a current value. So need to change this souce url with user provided value.

In my dataset query souce is like  Source = OData.Feed(source & "/_vti_bin/ListData.svc") so if it prompt for source than it will be load the customer specific data.

7 REPLIES 7
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@samaresh,

You can create a Power BI report template(PBIT) with data source parameter, then send the PBIT file to your users. The users can instantiate the PBIT and generate report with their own data, after that, they can publish the PBIX file to Power BI Service. For more details, please review the following  blog and similar thread.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/deep-dive-into-query-parameters-and-power-bi-templates/
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-create-a-template-with-a-different-data-source-every...

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for your reply. Actually i will have to publish the App in app source/App store. User will get the app from store and will start using it no way to make pbix file themself. There are lot of example in store like git gub, goodle analytics, QuickBooks etc. When user get that app in Power BI, It shows the current user specific reprots.

My expectation is when user access the app from store for first time it will ask the Sharepoint URL than it will load the data from that sharepoint and show the reports.

@samaresh,

What you describe can't achieved in Power BI Service. User can get their report by connecting to the existing content pack that Power BI Service provides. For the dataset you create, you would need to define PBIT with data source parameter for different users to generate their reports.

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for your reply. Actually i want to do some thing like Git, QuickBooks etc. When user add Git app it ask authentication. After authentication user can see that user specific data and reports. Same thing in QuickBooks user will see there on financial data and reports. I don't understand how should i start developing this. In visual studio i don't find any tempalte for Power BI Project. 

Incase of office add-in we need two project one for app manifest ther for web appplication that normally hosted in Azure. So what type of project i need to develop Power BI app like Git or QuickBooks. Please provide some link if possible.

@samaresh,

As mentioned on my first reply, you would need to use Power BI Desktop to create Power BI template(PBIT) and then distribute the PBIT to users. 

Regards,
Lydia

@v-yuezhe-msft Thanks you for your suggestion. This way i can deliver it to user directly. If i want to publish it in microsoft app store or appsource what will be the deliverable i mean for outlook or office add-ins we submit manifest file. For Power BI what will need to submit?

@samaresh,

Please take a look at the following similar thread.
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/First-steps-Create-my-own-AppSource/td-p/177516

Regards,
Lydia

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors