Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

freelensia
Advocate II
Advocate II

Make a shared query use another query as input (fix "may not directly access a data source" error)

Hi guys,

We know that when a query cannot simultaneously access an external data source (external files, excel tables, etc.) and another query from the power query list (power query editor).

Doing so will raise the "...may not directly access a data source" error.

However this limitation is ridiculous, especially for shared queries. By shared I mean queries that are stored in text files and called with code such as:

(TargetTable as table, TargetCol as text, LookupTable as table, LookupOldCol as text, LookupNewCol as text) =>
let
  GetFunction = Text.FromBinary(File.Contents(Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="PQMacrosFolder"]}[Content]{0}[Column1]&"GetCSVByDateAndName.txt")),
EvaluateFunction = Expression.Evaluate(GetFunction, #shared),
EvaluateFunction2 = EvaluateFunction(TargetTable, TargetCol, LookupTable, LookupOldCol, LookupNewCol)
in
    EvaluateFunction2

Shared queries by definition are referring to an external data source (the text file). So then how can I use a shared query that will act on another query? This need is very realistic. Imagine you wrote a PQ macro that modify a table (a query) in some way. Now you wanna store it in a central location to re-use (in the same way you store VBA macros in xlam file). However this is never possible with the current power query architecture.

Anybody has a work-around?

ImkeF @v-juanli-msft @Nolock @exmrsjones ?

3 REPLIES 3
PradipMCT
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi @freelensia,

As I understand your question you want all the queries to be stored in one central location so that it can be re-used multiple times?

According to me, there are two ways to do this. 

1. Custom function: you can create custom functions and then it can be re-used in other queries

2. Data Flows: this is like, Power Query on the cloud. Where anyone within the organisation can use this.

Hope that answers your question

Regards,

Pradip Microsoft Certified Trainer

Pradip's YouTube Channel

Thanks for the quick answer.

1. Yes I have created custom functions. However they can only be used in one Excel workbook, not multiple.

2. Data flows are not free, am I correct?

If so, these 2 suggestions do not solve my issue.

Hi @freelensia 

I though you're working in Power BI. Data flows only available in Power BI cloud. I am sorry i ran out of suggestions.

Regards,

Pradip Microsoft Certified Trainer

Pradip's YouTube Channel

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors