Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mac user - PowerBI file on Onedrive - Source files on Onedrive - Refresh

HI, I have Mac user that wants to use PowerBi service using excel files placed on personal Onedrive. I have created PowerBI file using Power BI Desktop and using GetData to Pesonal Onedrive excel files. Problem comes when I publish pbix file to PowerBI.com and want to refresh it with latest data placed into excel files (on Personal Onedrive). Any idea how to fix this? Thanks in advance.

2016-10-31_20-27-32.png

2016-10-31_20-30-00.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

From the error message, the dataset requires gateway to refresh while your personal gateway is offline. In your scenario, please click gear button on the top right corner of Power BI service, then click Settings -> Datasets, expand Gateway connection, find which server the personal gateway run on. Then go to that server, start the Personal gateway.

w1.PNG

Then back to the Gateway connection of this dataset, check if personal gateway is running. And enter credential under Data source Credentials.

By the way, it's better to keep .PBIX file in OneDrive for Business instead of Personal OneDrive. For more information, please refer to this article: Refresh a dataset created from a Power BI Desktop file on OneDrive, or SharePoint Online.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

From the error message, the dataset requires gateway to refresh while your personal gateway is offline. In your scenario, please click gear button on the top right corner of Power BI service, then click Settings -> Datasets, expand Gateway connection, find which server the personal gateway run on. Then go to that server, start the Personal gateway.

w1.PNG

Then back to the Gateway connection of this dataset, check if personal gateway is running. And enter credential under Data source Credentials.

By the way, it's better to keep .PBIX file in OneDrive for Business instead of Personal OneDrive. For more information, please refer to this article: Refresh a dataset created from a Power BI Desktop file on OneDrive, or SharePoint Online.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for detail explanation, I will try this Smiley Happy

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, maybe this was to forward from me, I can always create virtual Windows OS on Mac and do personal gateway to PowerBI. But does anybody have experience using Azure Storage or Azure Virtual Machines with PowerBI service? Would placing files on something like that solve problem of refreshing data and what would be cost of that for two excel files under 20MB? Thanks in advance.

Helpful resources

Announcements
March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors