Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

maclura
Resolver I
Resolver I

M transformation from GMT datetime to local datetime

Hi, this is my problem:

I have a table with a column listing time entries reported in the GMT timezone, and a column with the names of the actual timezones where they have been entered. I need to convert the GMT time entries in their local time.

I managed to create a table from the iata.org database reporting zone_name, time_start, gmt_offset. In this way I can add the gmt_offset to my GMT time entries to convert them in local time.

Now the challenge is that the gmt_offset changes over the time according to the local switching rules between solar and dst time and the iata.org database keeps trak of this in time_start.

So, what I did is to:

- LeftOuter join my table with the iata.org table using zone_name for matching

- Table.SelectRows(JoinedTable, each [time_start] <= [my GMT datetime])

- Table.Group(PreviousStep, {"my GMT datetime", "TimeEntry.Id"}, {{"max_time_start", each List.Max([time_start]), type nullable datetime}})

It should be OK, but now in my table I can see only 2 columns: "my GMT datetime" and "max_time_start", instead I would like to see all the remaining columns, especially the gmt_offset which I have to add to my "my GMT datetime" to get the local time.

Below my code

let
    Source = Table.NestedJoin(#"Time Entries", {"Timezone"}, timezone, {"zone_name"}, "timezone", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded timezone" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(Source, "timezone", {"time_start", "gmt_offset"}, {"time_start", "gmt_offset"}),
    #"Filtered Less Than" = Table.SelectRows(#"Expanded timezone", each [time_start] <= [my GMT datetime]),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Filtered Less Than", {"my GMT datetime"}, {{"max_time_start", each List.Max([time_start]), type nullable datetime}})
in
    #"Grouped Rows"

In addition I don't know if this is the best way to proceed. I think this is very inefficient considering the some million of rows of my table.

Thanks for any help

m

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

I think you're on the right track. Here's how I'd proceed:

let
    Source = Table.NestedJoin(#"Time Entires", {"time_entry_zone_name"}, timezone, {"zone_name"}, "timezone", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded timezone" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "timezone", {"time_start"}, {"time_start"}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Expanded timezone", each ([time_start] < [time_entry_gmt_datetime])),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Filtered Rows", {"time_entry_id", "time_entry_zone_name", "time_entry_gmt_datetime"}, {{"time_start", each List.Max([time_start]), type nullable datetime}}),
    /*---------------*/
    /*New Steps Below*/
    /*---------------*/
    #"Merged Queries1" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Grouped Rows", {"time_entry_zone_name", "time_start"}, timezone, {"zone_name", "time_start"}, "timezone", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded timezone1" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries1", "timezone", {"gmt_offset"}, {"gmt_offset"}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded timezone1", "time_entry_local_datetime", each
        DateTimeZone.SwitchZone(DateTimeZone.From([time_entry_gmt_datetime]), [gmt_offset]/3600), type datetimezone)
in
    #"Added Custom"

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
maclura
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi @AlexisOlson ,

thank you so much for your support, I really appreciate it.

Your suggestion does work for the example I provided in my previous post, but doesn't solve my actual scenario.

In fact, my second table - which is a fact table - does include several other columns in addition to time_entry_id, time_entry_zone_name and time_entry_gmt_datetime, and when I try to expand them in the final transformation, I go back to the point [time_start] <= [time_entry_gmt_datetime],  as if my grouping to find the maximum value of start_date was lost.

Anyway you deserve at least a kudos!

m

AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

I think you're on the right track. Here's how I'd proceed:

let
    Source = Table.NestedJoin(#"Time Entires", {"time_entry_zone_name"}, timezone, {"zone_name"}, "timezone", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded timezone" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "timezone", {"time_start"}, {"time_start"}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Expanded timezone", each ([time_start] < [time_entry_gmt_datetime])),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Filtered Rows", {"time_entry_id", "time_entry_zone_name", "time_entry_gmt_datetime"}, {{"time_start", each List.Max([time_start]), type nullable datetime}}),
    /*---------------*/
    /*New Steps Below*/
    /*---------------*/
    #"Merged Queries1" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Grouped Rows", {"time_entry_zone_name", "time_start"}, timezone, {"zone_name", "time_start"}, "timezone", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded timezone1" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries1", "timezone", {"gmt_offset"}, {"gmt_offset"}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded timezone1", "time_entry_local_datetime", each
        DateTimeZone.SwitchZone(DateTimeZone.From([time_entry_gmt_datetime]), [gmt_offset]/3600), type datetimezone)
in
    #"Added Custom"

maclura
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi @AlexisOlson ,

basically I have from one side the timezone table below

timezone.png

and on the other side the timeentry table below

timeentry.png

the goal is to put on the same row for each time_entry-id the MAX ( time_start <= time_entry_gmt_datetime)

AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

Can you provide a sample file or at least some sample data to show what your various tables look like?

One approach would be to expand the table of local switching rules into essentially a cross-join of a calendar and list of locations so that you have the GMT offset for each date and location in a big lookup table. You'd then join this table with your entries table, expand the GMT offset column and use it to define a calculated column with the local time.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors