Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MBWATSON
Helper I
Helper I

M code help

Good afternoon,

I have a DAX formula that I would like to use in Power Query but am not even sure where to start. Hoping to get some guidance here. The code looks like this

ROLE =
VAR ChangedBy = '_VIB Report 2022 07'[STATUS CHANGED BY]
VAR Department = '_VIB Report 2022 07'[DEPARTMENT]
RETURN
    SWITCH (
        TRUE (),
        ChangedBy = "DYER, HEIDI S"
            && Department = "WILSONVILLE", "PCP",
        ChangedBy = "MINGS, JENNIFER ANNE"
            && Department = "TANASBOURNE", "CLINIC APC",
        ChangedBy = "HOJNACKI, LAUREN A"
            && Department = "GLISAN", "CLINIC APC",
        "VIB"
    )

Thank you!
6 REPLIES 6
wdx223_Daniel
Super User
Super User

NewStep=Table.AddColumn(#"_VIB Report 2022 07","ROLE",each List.Skip({{{"DYER, HEIDI S","DYER, HEIDI S"},"PCP"},{{"MINGS, JENNIFER ANNE","TANASBOURNE"},"CLINIC APC"},{{"HOJNACKI, LAUREN A","GLISAN"},"CLINIC APC"}},(x)=>x{0}<>{[STATUS CHANGED BY],[DEPARTMENT]}){0}?{1}? ?? "VIB")

Perhaps the better question is this. I have a table that has a column of names and a column of roles. There are a handful of people in the names column that have multiple roles depending on the deparment (also a column). What I would like to do is change those roles in the role column while retaining the role for the other folks in the name column. Does that make sense?

Here is a screen shot of the data

MBWATSON_0-1665763462539.png

Thank you!

ronrsnfld
Super User
Super User

"am not even sure where to start"

Start by providing an explanation of what you want the code to accomplish; an example of the raw data; and an example of the desired output from your sample raw data.

@ronrsnfld please see message 4. You will find the screenshot there as well as the "whys". Thanks!

@MBWATSON I don't find the screenshot helpful at all to me.  Maybe someone else will understand it better.

• It is a screenshot which I can't copy/paste into my version of excel.
    • Parts of the table are "cut off".
  • I don't see any description of the rule for how you want to change the roles.
  • I don't see an example of the expected results after you apply the rules.

@ronrsnfld I was able to figure it out but thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors