Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

StevenB
Regular Visitor

Low barrier hack to get data out of PowerBI into an MS Flow workflow.

Ok, so I'm embarrassed about the level of hack in this solution, but it solves a business problem and I thought others might be running into the same issue. 

Currently, the only integration between MS Flow and Power BI is via the Alerts trigger. This is handy for certain use cases, but doesn't help when you need to trigger a business process based on a human decision. It also doesn't allow you to pass a complex data object out of Power BI to the MS Flow workflow.

My workaround for this is to create a measure in Power BI that assembles a JSON object containing the required data elements I need from the Power BI report, and expose the JSON object in a user-selectable visualization (e.g,. a single-celled Table).

The report user then configures the report to get the desired result, copies the resulting JSON object from the PBI measure, and pastes the JSON into a dedicated Microsoft Teams channel. I can then run an MS Flow using the Microsoft Teams 'new item in channel' event trigger to grab the JSON object and perform operations against it. 

Hopefully, at some point in the future there will be other trigger options from Power BI, but this very hacky approach has allowed us to get some integration work moving in the short term while we wait for a better solution.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

2 REPLIES 2
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @StevenB ,

Is this a sharing?

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Yes, it is!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors