Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

UbSamuel

Losing previous data with each data refresh

Hello community,

I am using power query on excel to retrieve data from an external DB to create reports for a client. I noticed, however, that anytime I do a 'refresh all' on the power query, it updates the date section deleting the previous dates (and accompanying data). I thought the previously queried data is stored on the user's system so that the data refresh only updates the most recent data; instead, it deletes previous dates and updates the latest.

Please how do I refresh in such a way that I can retain the old data while I get the most recent one? Also, is there a way to get the old data that has been replaced?

Any guidance is greatly appreciated. 

PS: I am new to Power Query.

4 REPLIES 4
UbSamuel

Hi @ams1 ,

Thanks for your response. 

What I mean by that is the timestamp. Please see the snapshot below:

UbSamuel_0-1676038884019.png

On the pivot table, I set the timestamp as a filter so that the users can filter the reports for different days. As you can see in the snapshot above, the 11th of January is the earliest date. It went back much further (December, last year) but I have noticed that each day we refresh the report to get the most recent data, the oldest day is deleted.

I hope it is much clearer now.

Many thanks for your guidance.

Hi,

If on every new day refresh, the oldest day is deleted, then maybe there is a limit somewhere - ex. maybe you can get only 200 days back from today.

Hi @ams1 ,

I thought the same thing and this is why I am wondering if such a limit exists and if it can be increased.

ams1
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Not sure what you mean by "date section", maybe it's an additional column that exists only in Excel, that was added on the table that is linked to the Query?

At least I would need additional input - a sample table - to help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors