Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Sky571
Advocate I
Advocate I

Loops with PowerQuery

Hello,

I have some difficulty with loops in Power Query.

I would like to create a column in PowerQuery, named « Number » with this conditions :

• each time the occurrence of the headings « S21.G00.30.001 » appears, the value of  the headings « S21.G00.30.019 » should be indicated ;

• all the headings that are appearing before the headings « S21.G00.30.001 » have the number 0, even if the headings’ numbers are superior as the one as « S21.G00.30.001 (example : "S21.G00.44.001")

It would be great if you could help me with this

Here is the example file : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1E1zRuQqZIEbqix0BkDjPEiMnKQ4HGV-1/view?usp=sharing

Sky571_0-1599339281735.png

Thanks !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Add an Index from 1 to the original table.  This helps with ordering and we'll use it to merge later.

Using 'Duplicate', make 2 copies of the table.

The first copy-> rename it to 'TableX19' and filter the Headings column to "S21.G00.30.019".  Add an Index column 'IndexLink' from 1.

The second copy -> rename it to 'TableX01' and filter the Headings column to "S21.G00.30.001". Add an Index column 'IndexLink' from 1.

Starting from TableX01, Merge the table with 'TableX19' on the IndexLink column using InnerJoin.

Expand the column with the table to only return the Values (which will be 2,4,6)

Select the original table. Using 'Merge as New', merge it with TableX01 on the Index column (not IndexLink) using Left Outer. 

Expand the column with table to return the Values(2,4,6).

You may need to reorder the table on Index at this point (I did) because the merge switches some ordering.

You should have something like this:

Merged Vals.PNG

Do a 'Fill Down' on the last column.  Then use 'Replace Values' to replace the null values (should just be 2 left)  with 0.

Good luck 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Sky571 - Huh, I've done recursion in Power Query but not sure I've ever done loops. 

https://www.excelinppc.com/creating-loops-in-power-query

Looks complicated though. @ImkeF @edhans 

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi @Greg_Deckler 

Thank you for your answer, it also helped ! happy to see you here again 😉

Best xx

Add an Index from 1 to the original table.  This helps with ordering and we'll use it to merge later.

Using 'Duplicate', make 2 copies of the table.

The first copy-> rename it to 'TableX19' and filter the Headings column to "S21.G00.30.019".  Add an Index column 'IndexLink' from 1.

The second copy -> rename it to 'TableX01' and filter the Headings column to "S21.G00.30.001". Add an Index column 'IndexLink' from 1.

Starting from TableX01, Merge the table with 'TableX19' on the IndexLink column using InnerJoin.

Expand the column with the table to only return the Values (which will be 2,4,6)

Select the original table. Using 'Merge as New', merge it with TableX01 on the Index column (not IndexLink) using Left Outer. 

Expand the column with table to return the Values(2,4,6).

You may need to reorder the table on Index at this point (I did) because the merge switches some ordering.

You should have something like this:

Merged Vals.PNG

Do a 'Fill Down' on the last column.  Then use 'Replace Values' to replace the null values (should just be 2 left)  with 0.

Good luck 

Hello @HotChilli,

Thank you so much for your answer, it was very detailed and clear. 

I have tested and it worked. I need to test another sub-recursion after, hopes it will work the same way.

Huge thanks !!

xx

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors