Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

laurie_oa
Frequent Visitor

Looping API Requests: references other queries or steps, so it may not directly access a data source

In PowerBI desktop I've managed to successfully create a function that loops an API request having been passed some data from a table. It has to be done this way because the endpoint is restrctive, it returns one small chunk of data per request. This works pretty well in the desktop but when I publish the dataset I get this: 

references other queries or steps, so it may not directly access a data source

Which I think I understand but haven't been able to circumvent. 

I've turned off privacy options for that dataset so it isn't that. I've tried "Staging" all the data and previous queries in separate tables before running the loop function but I'm still getting the same result.

The loop function:

let timesheetFromId = (input as table) =>
    let
        Source = Table.AddColumn(input,"TimeSheets", each GetJson("api/v2/Organisation/" & slug & "/Timesheet/Week/?contactId=" & Number.ToText([UserID]) & "&dateAsInt=" & Date.ToText([Week],"yyyyMMdd")))      
    in
        Source
in timesheetFromId

The GetJson function that this calls:

(usedRelativeUrl) =>
        let  options = [Headers = [#"IGNORE_ME_Content-TypeTT"="application/json",
            #"access-token"=accessToken],
            RelativePath=usedRelativeUrl
            ],
            RawData = Web.Contents(environmentUrl, options),
            Json    = Json.Document(RawData)
        in  Json

This uses parameters with environment info about the API.

The table resulting from calling the timesheetFromId function and passing it a table with UserID and Week:

image.png

Looking through the table it's returning the correct data, working well (but slowly), however publishing the dataset returns this:

image.png

Am I going about this the wrong way? Should I be collapsing all queries into a single function? Or am I not staging things correctly? 

3 REPLIES 3
blopez11
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

What does the function GetTimeSheetByDateID look like?

It would be useful to see everything that leads up to the GetTimeSheetByDateID function, even if it is just the begin/end of functions or staging queries to hide your IP

Typically when I run into this I have to encapsulate the data sources behind functions, but from what I can see so far, it looks like you are doing that

Hey Blopez11, 

Thanks for your help. 

Apologies for the confusion, GetDateByTimesheetID and timeSheetFromId are the same thing - bad naming on my part. In terms of the full breakdown: 

Function that generates the dates I requireFunction that generates the dates I requireThe loop function itselfThe loop function itselfThis takes an API URL and access tokens and makes the callThis takes an API URL and access tokens and makes the call

Splicing Week/User data to make aSplicing Week/User data to make a

UserWeekStagedDate - Just combines the dates with the IDs and expands the dates out. 

Bringing everything togetherBringing everything together

It's a little bit convoluted exactly because I've tried to break everything up into functions. Is it possible the date generation part needs to be split out into its own function?

I still don't see how it's considered mixing data sources at this point, or am I just getting the "Catch-all can't cope" error?

Cheers,

laurie_oa

I do agree with you on that pulling data from the same sources shouldn't be considered mixing

I have run into that with web services pulling from the same root url

Anyway, I think you may need to encapsulate the UserWeekStaged into a function, and quite possibly TimesheetWeeks

Web services are quite finicy, in that what works in the desktop doesn't always work in the service

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors