Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vyask
Frequent Visitor

Loop / recursive / DAX / PowerQuery / Same Table loop

Hi, I am new to Power BI and I need help with creating a loop using DAX or Power Query.

Problem Statement:
I have only 1 table (which shows unidirectional links between workitems) with 4 columns.

SourceWorkItemIdParentWorkItemIdSourceWorkItemTypeParentWorkItemTypeCapID (OUTPUT)
1122Story1Feature166
2233Feature1Epic166
4455Theme1MBI10
3344Epic1Theme10
5566MBI1Cap10
111222Story2Cap1222
11112222Story3Cap22222
166Story4Cap166
772222Epic2Cap20

The WorkItemType hierarchy is not fixed. It can be Story -> Feature -> Cap or it can be Story -> Cap or anything else.

The maximum depth (in this order) is: Story -> Feature -> Epic -> Theme -> MBI -> Cap.

I need to show CapID against Stories and Features that are directly or indirectly linked to that Cap by adding 1 new column in the existing table.

I tried to do this using a python script which works fine in python but it times-out in Power BI and gives 1800000ms error, probably because of the table size.

Code Example with comments:

Cap = []                                                   // created a blank list
for indices,row in df.iterrows():                          // started a for loop    
     if row['SourceWorkItemType'] in ['Story','Feature']:  // if SourceType is Story/Feature
          if row['ParentWorkItemType'] == 'Cap':           // if current ParentType is Cap               
               Cap.append(row['ParentWorkItemId'])          // append current CapID to list Cap
          else:                                            // if ParentType is not Cap               
               for indices,row_1 in df.iterrows():         // nested for loop
                    if row['ParentWorkItemId'] == row_1['SourceWorkItemId']: // if ParentID is found in another row's SourceID 
                         if row_1['ParentWorkItemType'] != 'Cap':  // if ParentType is not Cap
                              row['ParentWorkItemId'] = row_1['ParentWorkItemId'] // then search new ParentID in another row's sourceID
                         else:                                // else if current Parent is Cap                                    
                              Cap.append(row_1['ParentWorkItemId'])  // add the current ParentID to Cap list         
     else:                  // if SourceType is not Story/Feature or if CapID is not found
          Cap.append(0)               // append 0 to the Cap list
print(Cap)                          // add Cap list as the 5th column

Request you to help me with this. Thanks in advance! 🙂

12 REPLIES 12
ziying35
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi, @vyask 

let
    Source = Table.FromRecords(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("ndJNC4JAEAbg/zJnL7t+gceiwIMQKHSIDmIDRZiyrAeJ/nutSYTuu6DX/ZjnnWFOT8qbTlV8bNQ91VynF0qE8OhQKn7o/1Mpvcnbom+ZEsp1o3pB0z/j7Z5L3SkW9PJslqk6t3wfWL9qQNu1twpRQWCjwhBQxZVrDGWbFDkm/NwxutX5RgbMGMIOmehzKIoANEQGzrZskSLQOjj3Qa6TEOW0fIclkbVodAMTrGgpjhc2ZLbBNbtPP+c3",BinaryEncoding.Base64),Compression.Deflate))),
    chtype = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"SourceWorkItemId", type text}, {"ParentWorkItemId", type text}}),
    rec = Record.FromList(List.Zip({chtype[ParentWorkItemId],chtype[SourceWorkItemType]}),chtype[SourceWorkItemId]),
    fx =(rec, fd, k)=>
        let val = Record.Field(rec, fd),
            out = if not List.Contains({"Story", "Feature"}, k, (x,y)=>Text.StartsWith(y,x)) then 0 
                else let sw = Record.HasFields(rec,val{0})
                     in if sw then @fx(rec, val{0}, k) else val{0}
        in  out, 
    tbl = Table.AddColumn(chtype,"CapID", each fx(rec, [SourceWorkItemId], [SourceWorkItemType]))
in
    tbl

Try this recursive code of mine. I learned it from the Chinese bigwig

Hello @mahoneypat @ziying35 @Anonymous , thanks a lot for your replies...

All these queries work when the data size is small.

However, when I run these on the actual data, Power BI keeps on evaluating for hours.

Is there a way using DAX please, as it seems faster to me?

@mahoneypat , there are zeros because, I only need to show the CapIDs (which your query is determining correctly) against SourceWorkItemType Stories and Features.

@ziying35 , just a note that your function stops at the last parent, but I also need to put a check that the last parent is Cap, otherwise it should give zero or null.

Anonymous
Not applicable

what is the size of your real table?

how many columns and rows there are?

I just adaptde an old script, but may be a specific one for your date could be more performant

@Anonymous : It has the same 4 columns with around 4,50,000 rows.

ziying35
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@vyask If the data exceeds 400,000 lines, my code may not have the processing power. Can you remove sensitive information from your real form and upload it to onedrive?

Anonymous
Not applicable

here the

let

Source = let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjRU0lEyMgISwSX5RZUgnltqYklpUSqIaWamFKsTDZE3NkaVcy3ITEZSY2ICZJuaAomQjNRcsApfJ08QZQCWB2sHK4JphKuDKADrBRoG1+ecWICQNYQ6FO5SI4QKkChUDZQLV2UMUWUEEwYrg9kDVmGCMAfqE3NzhCEgtxohzAC6JRYA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [sid = _t, pid = _t, sit = _t, pit = _t, #"CapID (OUTPUT)" = _t]),
      #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(
        Source, 
        {
          {"sid", Int64.Type}, 
          {"pid", Int64.Type}, 
          {"sit", type text}, 
          {"pit", type text}, 
          {"CapID (OUTPUT)", Int64.Type}
        }
      ),
      #"Inserted Merged Column" = Table.AddColumn(
        #"Changed Type", 
        "Merged.1", 
        each Text.Combine({Text.From([sid], "it-IT"), [sit]}, ":"), 
        type text
      ),
      #"Inserted Merged Column1" = Table.AddColumn(
        #"Inserted Merged Column", 
        "Merged", 
        each Text.Combine({Text.From([pid], "it-IT"), [pit]}, ":"), 
        type text
      )
    in
      Table.RenameColumns(#"Inserted Merged Column1", {{"Merged", "col2"}, {"Merged.1", "col1"}}),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(Source,{"col1", "col2"}),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Removed Other Columns", "Index", 0, 1),
    cols=Table.ToColumns(#"Added Index"),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Index", "linked", each List.Last(List.RemoveNulls(let cr=List.Skip(cols{0},_[Index]) in if List.Contains({"Story", "Feature"}, _[col1], (x,y)=>Text.Contains(y,x)) then   List.Accumulate({0..5},{_[col1]},(s,c)=>s&{try cols{1}{let pos=List.PositionOf(cr,s{c})+_[Index] in if pos <_[Index] then -1 else pos}otherwise null}) else {"0"})))
in
    #"Added Custom"

the version that uses an index column that confines the search to the rest of the table, as you proceed.
This obviously works if the linked groups
are not intertwined, in the sense that the components are in the following order

Story -> Feature -> Epic -> Theme -> MBI -> Cap.

I am a decent M-er, but not as good as @Anonymous , so I switched to the DAX route.  Here is an approach that gets your desired results.

1.  Make a Calculated DAX Table that has all Parent Values in the in the Source columns, so we can use the PATH function.  Your original table is called Caps.

CapsForPath =
VAR currenttable =
SELECTCOLUMNS (
Caps,
"Child", Caps[SourceWorkItemId],
"Parent", Caps[ParentWorkItemId]
)
VAR nochild =
ADDCOLUMNS (
EXCEPT ( VALUES ( Caps[ParentWorkItemId] ), VALUES ( Caps[SourceWorkItemId] ) ),
"Parent", Caps[ParentWorkItemId]
)
VAR unioned =
DISTINCT (
UNION (
currenttable,
SELECTCOLUMNS ( nochild, "Child", Caps[ParentWorkItemId], "Parent", [Parent] )
)
)
RETURN
unioned

2.  Add these two Calculated Columns to that new table

Cap Path = PATH(CapsForPath[Child], CapsForPath[Parent])

Final Cap = PATHITEM(CapsForPath[Cap Path], 1)

3.  Make a 1:1 or Many:1 relationship from your original table to this new table (SourceID to Child column), and use this formula to get your desired column

End Cap = RELATED(CapsForPath[Parent])

You could also work an IF() into it to return 0 if not a CAP.

Even if you go the M/Query route, I'll be curious to see how performant this approach is on your big dataset.

If this works for you, please mark it as the solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Anonymous
Not applicable

this solution is based on the assumption that the linked groups are all contiguous.
Therefore the search is confined in a window of 6 elements, instead of on the whole table. This reduces the time by approximately (number of lines) / 6 times. For example, for a 600k row table, the time is about 1/10000 shorter.

I did the test on a randomly generated 1M row table, getting the answer within 10 '.

sorgente

let

zoo=(items)=>
let
itemsL=List.RemoveLastN(items,1),
itemsR=List.RemoveFirstN(items,1)
in Table.FromColumns({itemsL,itemsR}),

items={"S","F","E","T","M","C"} ,
seq=List.Transform({1..300000}, (r)=> List.Transform(List.Sort(List.Distinct( List.Transform(List.Random(7,r), each Number.RoundDown(_*6)))), each items{_}&Text.From(r))),
seq1= Table.Combine(List.Transform(seq, each zoo(_)))
in
    seq1

let
  Source = Table.RenameColumns(sorgente, {{"Column1", "col1"}, {"Column2", "col2"}}),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(Source, "Idx", 1, 1),
    cols=Table.ToColumns(Source),
    cols0=List.Buffer(cols{0}),
    cols1=List.Buffer(cols{1}),

#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Index", "linked", each if List.Contains({"S", "F"}, _[col1], (x,y)=>Text.Contains(y,x)) then let wind={cols0{_[Idx]},cols0{_[Idx]+1},cols0{_[Idx]+2},cols0{_[Idx]+3},cols0{_[Idx]+4},cols0{_[Idx]+5}} in  List.Last(List.RemoveNulls(List.Accumulate({0..5},{_[col1]},(s,c)=>s&{try cols1{List.PositionOf(wind,s{c})}otherwise null}))) else "0")
in
    #"Added Custom"

Anonymous
Not applicable

here a code which follow the same logic of my penultimate message.

I used the "trick" of the list.buffer function to store the two columns on which repeated searches are performed.
This seems to have an excellent effect on execution times.
A few minutes for a table of about 500k rows

############Edited############

Used list.buffer on indexed version, that seems faster.

Follow a randomly generated table; a funcion that is udes to generate that table and the code to perform the required tarnsformations on the table rows  (665k).

sorgente

let
items={"S","F","E","T","M","C"} ,
seq=List.Transform({1..200000}, (r)=> List.Transform(List.Sort(List.Distinct( List.Transform(List.Random(7,r), each Number.RoundDown(_*6)))), each items{_}&Text.From(r))),
seq1= Table.Combine(List.Transform(seq, each Table.Transpose(Table.FromColumns(zoo(_)))))
in
    seq1

zoo

let
zipOddEven=(items)=>

let
itemsL=List.RemoveLastN(items,1),
itemsR=List.RemoveFirstN(items,1)

in List.Zip({itemsL,itemsR})

in
    zipOddEven

let

Source= Table.RenameColumns(sorgente, {{"Column1", "col1"}, {"Column2", "col2"}}),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Removed Other Columns", "Index", 0, 1),
    cols=Table.ToColumns(#"Added Index"),
    cols0=List.Buffer(cols{0}),
    cols1=List.Buffer(cols{1}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Index", "linked", each List.Last(List.RemoveNulls(let cr=List.Buffer(List.Skip(cols0,_[Index])) in if List.Contains({"Story", "Feature"}, _[col1], (x,y)=>Text.Contains(y,x)) then   List.Accumulate({0..5},{_[col1]},(s,c)=>s&{try cols1{let pos=List.PositionOf(cr,s{c})+_[Index] in if pos <_[Index] then -1 else pos}otherwise null}) else {"0"})))
in
    #"Added Custom"

PS

I would like to thank @mahoneypat for your kind words to me, but I would like to specify that I do not use power queries for work and therefore I have almost never tried the scripts that I produce on real tables.
So I have no efficient code experience, moreover my experience with power query is quite recent (due to the lock down covid-19), therefore my indications on processing times could be very approximate.
Unlike @mahoneypat , I can't even try different routes as I know absolutely nothing about DAX and therefore I have to try to do everything with M 😀

image.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

there are 450000 rows or 4500000 rows?

give a try using this scheme.

It is possible also make some improvements using an auxiliary index column.

make "incremental" attempts, starting from a table 1/10 of the maximum size; then depending on the time test 2/10, 1/2, etc.

let

Source = let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjRU0lEyMgISwSX5RZUgnltqYklpUSqIaWamFKsTDZE3NkaVcy3ITEZSY2ICZJuaAomQjNRcsApfJ08QZQCWB2sHK4JphKuDKADrBRoG1+ecWICQNYQ6FO5SI4QKkChUDZQLV2UMUWUEEwYrg9kDVmGCMAfqE3NzhCEgtxohzAC6JRYA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [sid = _t, pid = _t, sit = _t, pit = _t, #"CapID (OUTPUT)" = _t]),
        Source, 
        {
          {"sid", Int64.Type}, 
          {"pid", Int64.Type}, 
          {"sit", type text}, 
          {"pit", type text}, 
        }
      ),
        #"Changed Type", 
        "Merged.1", 
        type text
      ),
        "Merged", 
        type text
      )
    in
      Table.RenameColumns(#"Inserted Merged Column1", {{"Merged", "col2"}, {"Merged.1", "col1"}}),
    cols=Table.ToColumns(#"Removed Other Columns"),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Removed Other Columns", "linked", each if List.Contains({"Story", "Feature"}, _[col1], (x,y)=>Text.Contains(y,x)) then   List.Last(List.RemoveNulls(List.Accumulate({0..5},{_[col1]},(s,c)=>s&{try cols{1}{List.PositionOf(cols{0},s{c})}otherwise null}))) else "0")
in
    #"Added Custom"

In general, as time increases more than linearly with the size of the table, if it is possible to partition the table into some smaller subtables and run the script on the list of subtables, it will take much less time.

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

This is a good application for the PATH funciton in DAX.  However, since some of the parent IDs are not also listed in SourceIDs, it will error.  Fortunately, there is an M path equivalent that does not error.  Below is example M code on how to do it.  I don't understand the logic why some of your rows are 0.  If you can explain that, I may be able to adapt this to do that.  To see how it works, just create a blank query, go to Advanced Editor, and replace the text there with the M code below.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjRU0lEyMgISwSX5RZUgnltqYklpUSqIaWamFKsTDZE3NkaVcy3ITEZSY2ICZJuaAomQjNRcsApfJ08QZQCWB2sHK4JphKuDKADrBRoG1+ecWICQNYQ6FO5SI4QKkChUDZQLV2UMUWUEEwYrg9kDVmGCMAfqE3NzhCEgtxohzAC6JRYA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [SourceWorkItemId = _t, ParentWorkItemId = _t, SourceWorkItemType = _t, ParentWorkItemType = _t, #"CapID (OUTPUT)" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"SourceWorkItemId", Int64.Type}, {"ParentWorkItemId", Int64.Type}, {"SourceWorkItemType", type text}, {"ParentWorkItemType", type text}, {"CapID (OUTPUT)", Int64.Type}}),
    RemovedColumns = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Changed Type",{"CapID (OUTPUT)"}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(RemovedColumns, "Final Cap", each let //Define your columns here
mytable=RemovedColumns,p="ParentWorkItemId",c="SourceWorkItemId" 
  in
let mylist={Record.Field(_,c)} & List.Generate(()=>[x=0,y=Record.Field(_,p),w=1],each [w] > 0,each [z=[y], x=Table.Column(Table.SelectRows(mytable,each Record.Field(_,c)=z),p),y=x{0},w=List.Count(x)
],
each [y])
        in
Text.Combine(List.Reverse(List.RemoveItems(
List.Transform(mylist,each Text.From(_)),{null,""})),"|")),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Custom",{{"Final Cap", type text}}),
    #"Extracted Text Before Delimiter" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Changed Type1", {{"Final Cap", each Text.BeforeDelimiter(_, "|"), type text}})
in
    #"Extracted Text Before Delimiter"

If this works for you, please mark it as the solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Anonymous
Not applicable

Seems the same logic of a previuos case.

you just have to change the names of the two columns of your table in this way

let
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"sid", Int64.Type}, {"pid", Int64.Type}, {"sit", type text}, {"pit", type text}, {"CapID (OUTPUT)", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Inserted Merged Column" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Merged", each Text.Combine({Text.From([pid], "it-IT"), [pit]}, ":"), type text),
    #"Inserted Merged Column1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted Merged Column", "Merged.1", each Text.Combine({Text.From([sid], "it-IT"), [sit]}, ":"), type text),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Inserted Merged Column1",{{"Merged.1", "col1"}, {"Merged", "col2"}}),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Renamed Columns",{"col2", "col1"})
in
    #"Removed Other Columns"

then use this code, which returns the complete chain of links

let
  Source = Table,
    add = (tab, n) => 
    let
      ac = Table.AddColumn(
        tab, 
        "col" & Text.From(n), 
        each List.Distinct(
          Table.SelectRows(tab, (r) => r[col1] = Record.Field(_, "col" & Text.From(n - 1)))[col2]
        )
      ),
      tabn = Table.ExpandListColumn(ac, "col" & Text.From(n))
    in
      tabn,
  last = (tab, coln) => not List.IsEmpty(
    List.Intersect({Table.Column(tab, "col" & Text.From(coln - 1)), tab[col1]})
  ),
  steps = List.Generate(
    () => [y = Source, n = 3, x = true], 
    each [x], 
    each [y = add([y], [n]), n = [n] + 1, x = last([y], [n])], 
    each [y]
  )
in
  Table.SelectRows(List.Last(steps), each not List.Contains(Source[col2], [col1]))

antother way is to adapt the input atble in this way.

#########edited###############

let

Source = let
        Source, 
        {
          {"sid", Int64.Type}, 
          {"pid", Int64.Type}, 
          {"sit", type text}, 
          {"pit", type text}, 
        }
      ),
        #"Changed Type", 
        "Merged.1", 
        type text
      ),
        "Merged", 
        type text
      )
    in
  add = (tab, n) => 
    let
      ac = Table.AddColumn(
        tab, 
        "col" & Text.From(n), 
        each List.Distinct(
          Table.SelectRows(tab, (r) => r[col1] = Record.Field(_, "col" & Text.From(n - 1)))[col2]
        )
      ),
      tabn = Table.ExpandListColumn(ac, "col" & Text.From(n))
    in
      tabn,
  last = (tab, coln) => not List.IsEmpty(
    List.Intersect({Table.Column(tab, "col" & Text.From(coln - 1)), tab[col1]})
  ),
  steps = List.Generate(
    () => [y = Source, n = 3, x = true], 
    each [x], 
    each [y = add([y], [n]), n = [n] + 1, x = last([y], [n])], 
    each [y]
  ),
    List.Last(steps), 
    "Merged", 
    each 
      if List.ContainsAny({[col1]}, {"Story", "Feature"}, Text.Contains)
      then Text.Combine({[col1], [col2], [col3], [col4], [col5], [col6]}, ",")
      else [col1] & ",0", 
    type text
  ),
  #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(
    "cap", 
    each Text.AfterDelimiter([Merged], ",", {0, RelativePosition.FromEnd})
  )
in
  #"Added Custom"

in any case, whatever your logic (probably different from this in some respects), you can use the list.generate function schema to simulate what you do with Python

image.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors