Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lookup value that contains substring from another table

Hello,

I have table 1 that has a bunch of addresses

AddressValue
St George Street 12.....
5th Avenue South 3A......

I have table 2 that has a bunch of street names and their zip codes:

Street nameZip Code
St George Street32025

I want to create a new column in Table 1 with the Zip code from Table 2. How can I achieve this?

Thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

you can add a column with the following formula:

Table.SelectRows(Table2, (x) => Text.Contains([Address], x[Street name])){0}[Zip Code]

This will return the first match, if there is any. Otherwise error. Just add some error-handling or remove errors afterwards.

For performance reasons, make sure to buffer Table2.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Basically the query mentioned by @ ImkeF should work, or you can try to use fuzzy merge:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WCi5RcE/NL0pPVQguKUpNLVEwNFLSUTI0VYrViVYyLclQcCxLzSsFyuaXAjnGjkBJUwOwJKZOU6CkEVBnLAA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Address = _t, Value = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Address", type text}, {"Value", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.FuzzyNestedJoin(#"Changed Type", {"Address"}, #"Table 2", {"Street name"}, "Table 2", JoinKind.LeftOuter, [IgnoreCase=true, IgnoreSpace=true]),
    #"Expanded Table 2" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "Table 2", {"Zip Code"}, {"Zip Code"})
in
    #"Expanded Table 2"

m.png

Refer:

1. Fuzzy Matching in Power BI / Power Query 
  2. Create a fuzzy match (Power Query) 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I have tried Fuzzy Matching but it does not match that well. However I have tried to do this in DAX and it has worked for me 🙂 

ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

you can add a column with the following formula:

Table.SelectRows(Table2, (x) => Text.Contains([Address], x[Street name])){0}[Zip Code]

This will return the first match, if there is any. Otherwise error. Just add some error-handling or remove errors afterwards.

For performance reasons, make sure to buffer Table2.

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @ImkeF 

Thank you very much for your reply. However I got the error: 
Expression.Error: There weren't enough elements in the enumeration to complete the operation.

When I added the code as a custom column. Is there any way to fix this?

Hi @phuogh ,

it worked for me on my sample data. So there is a good chance that you didn't apply it correctly.
Please share our full code or the file for me to check.

Hi @Anonymous ,

it worked for me on my sample data. So there is a good chance that you didn't apply it correctly.
Please share our full code or the file for me to check.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Thank you for your help. After a while I tried to work around with DAX and it has worked for me 🙂 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors