Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SanGraham
Helper I
Helper I

Lookup Percentil Value in difrent Tables

Good Morning everyone,

So i have a Athlete test,
Position: Stricker
Test : Jump
Result : 37.0

And i have Diferente tables in diferente files with results from:
- Male/Female
- Difrente Age
- Difrent Position
- Difrente Tests
This tables are the scores in percentils from a lot of tests data as you can see in the picture.
So how can i get this athlete test result 37.0 and return in witch percentil he is., based on the gender, age, position and test to choose witch table and column to search the value?

%.JPG

Thanks Veru much.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@SanGraham 

I'm saying it'd probably be best to transform the tables from this

Atacante
  Acerelacao Velocidade Agilidade
100 Ac1 Vel1 Agi1
95 Ac2 Vel2 Agi2
90 Ac3 Vel3 Agi3

to (intermediate step for illustration purposes)

Acerelacao Velocidade Agilidade Position
100 Ac1 Vel1 Agi1 Atacante
95 Ac2 Vel2 Agi2 Atacante
90 Ac3 Vel3 Agi3 Atacante

and finally to this:

Position TypeOfResult Percentile Value
Atacante Acerelacao 100 Ac1
Atacante Acerelacao 95 Ac2
Atacante Acerelacao 90 Ac3
Atacante Velocidade 100 Vel1
Atacante Velocidade 95 Vel2
Atacante Velocidade 90 Vel3
Atacante Agilidade 100 Agi1
Atacante Agilidade 95 Agi2
Atacante Agilidade 90 Agi3

Then you can combine all four in a Sheet in one table and add another column with the age (Sub-17 in the example you show). You can then repeat the process for each Sheet and finally combine the resulting table from each Sheet in a final table that has all the info. Whatever operation you want to perform will then be much easier. You can do all these transformations in the query editor, define a function that will process all sheets (assuming they all have the same or very similar structure).

Please mark the question solved when done and consider giving kudos if posts are helpful.

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

View solution in original post

Hi @SanGraham 

For your calculated column in Table1 (Table Tests), extracting the percentile from Table2 (Tables Scores). You might have to tweak it a bit to get exactly what you need. Note the code checks whether the scorevalues are increasing or decreasing as the percentile increases, so that it can perform the correct operation. 

Extracted_Percentile = 
VAR relevantT_ = FILTER(Table2;Table2[AgeCategory]=Table1[AgeCategory] && Table2[Position] = Table1[Position] && Table2[Gender] = Table1[Gender] && Table2[Protocol]= Table1[Protocol])

VAR valueat100_ = MINX(FILTER(relevantT_;Table2[ScorePercent] = 100);Table2[ScoreValue])
VAR valueat5_ =  MINX(FILTER(relevantT_;Table2[ScorePercent] = 5);Table2[ScoreValue])
VAR orderIsdescending_ = valueat100_ > valueat5_  
VAR percentile_ = 
IF(orderIsdescending_;
    MAXX( FILTER(relevantT_; Table1[Test Result] >= Table2[ScoreValue]);Table2[ScorePercent]);
    MINX( FILTER(relevantT_; Table1[Test Result] >= Table2[ScoreValue]);Table2[ScorePercent]))
RETURN 
percentile_

Please mark the question solved when done and consider giving kudos if posts are helpful.

Contact me privately for support with any larger-scale BI needs

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @SanGraham 

I think it would be much better to have a single table with all the info. You can combine the ones you have adding columns to specify gender, age, position, etc. You can do that best in the query editor

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

@AlB are you sugesting me to put the columns all in on table, maybe rename the columns as for exemple:

MaleU17StrikerJump
So this columns are the scores from 1% to 100% of this grup?

Is that right:

@SanGraham 

I'm saying it'd probably be best to transform the tables from this

Atacante
  Acerelacao Velocidade Agilidade
100 Ac1 Vel1 Agi1
95 Ac2 Vel2 Agi2
90 Ac3 Vel3 Agi3

to (intermediate step for illustration purposes)

Acerelacao Velocidade Agilidade Position
100 Ac1 Vel1 Agi1 Atacante
95 Ac2 Vel2 Agi2 Atacante
90 Ac3 Vel3 Agi3 Atacante

and finally to this:

Position TypeOfResult Percentile Value
Atacante Acerelacao 100 Ac1
Atacante Acerelacao 95 Ac2
Atacante Acerelacao 90 Ac3
Atacante Velocidade 100 Vel1
Atacante Velocidade 95 Vel2
Atacante Velocidade 90 Vel3
Atacante Agilidade 100 Agi1
Atacante Agilidade 95 Agi2
Atacante Agilidade 90 Agi3

Then you can combine all four in a Sheet in one table and add another column with the age (Sub-17 in the example you show). You can then repeat the process for each Sheet and finally combine the resulting table from each Sheet in a final table that has all the info. Whatever operation you want to perform will then be much easier. You can do all these transformations in the query editor, define a function that will process all sheets (assuming they all have the same or very similar structure).

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

@AlB Thanks Man Very Much,

So now i have my table organized as you showed me,
Now to lookup the TEST Result in my test table, and cross with the score table, but i need multiple conditions: Gender, age, position....
And found the value based on this conditions, for me to return the % Score (100, 95 , 90...)
I need to merge them?
But i can use just one reference to merge, isnt?

sprint.JPG

score.JPG

Hi @SanGraham 

Can you show me exactly what the result you want would look like? I think it would be best to, now that you have everything in one consolidated table, do the rest in DAX. But I need to understand exactly what you need

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

Hello  @AlB , many thanks.

So i wil try to explain better what i need.

I need in a personal report from a athlete to return his Percentil based in his test result.
So, he jumped 35cm, based in his caracteristics, 35cm is Percentil 75%. I need to return this percentil.

So now i have two tables as you sugested:
Table 1 - Athlete, Gender, Age, Position, Test Protocol (JUMP), Test Result (35cm)

sprint.JPG

Table 2 - PercentilScore,   Gender, Age, Position, TestProtocol(JUMP) , Test Results

score.JPG

So i need a lookup value based in multiple condition, am i right?
Based on - Gender, Age, Position, TestProtocol(JUMP) , Test Result (35cm)
Find Return - Percentil Score %

The thing is all the conditions but on are exact maches:
Gender, Age, Position, TestProtocol(JUMP) - Exact Match
Test Result (35cm) - Not Exact Match (if percentil 75% = 33cm , and percentil 80% = 36cm i need to return 80%, as in excel)

Hope i could be more especific this time.
Thanks and sorry my poor english.

Hi @SanGraham 

So you can use FILTER over Table2 and use the exact match for all the other conditions and for the percentile the condition it would be  something like:

VAR currentPercentile_ =  Table2[ScorePercent]

VAR nextPercentile_  = CALCULATE( MIN( Table2[ScorePercent] ), Table2[ScorePercent] > currentPercentile_ )

RETURN

Table1[TestResult] >= currentPercentile_ &&  Table1[TestResult] < nextPercentile_ 

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

@AlB can i use this to have a new column with the Percentil for many diferente atlhletes regarding to diferente tests?

@SanGraham 

Can you copy here a sample of both your tables in text rather than a screen pic? I can then copy them easily and run a quick test.

You can just copy a few of the top rows (including column names) and paste them here

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

Yes @AlB sure,

Table Scores:

ScorePercentGenderPositionAgeCategoryProtocolScoreValue
100MaleGoalkeepersU20Sprint1,66
95MaleGoalkeepersU20Sprint1,68
90MaleGoalkeepersU20Sprint1,7
85MaleGoalkeepersU20Sprint1,71
80MaleGoalkeepersU20Sprint1,71
75MaleGoalkeepersU20Sprint1,71
70MaleGoalkeepersU20Sprint1,73
65MaleGoalkeepersU20Sprint1,74
60MaleGoalkeepersU20Sprint1,75
55MaleGoalkeepersU20Sprint1,75
50MaleGoalkeepersU20Sprint1,75
45MaleGoalkeepersU20Sprint1,75
40MaleGoalkeepersU20Sprint1,75
35MaleGoalkeepersU20Sprint1,76
30MaleGoalkeepersU20Sprint1,78
25MaleGoalkeepersU20Sprint1,81
20MaleGoalkeepersU20Sprint1,84
15MaleGoalkeepersU20Sprint1,86
10MaleGoalkeepersU20Sprint1,89
5MaleGoalkeepersU20Sprint1,93
100MaleGoalkeepersU20Speed4,03
95MaleGoalkeepersU20Speed4,08
90MaleGoalkeepersU20Speed4,14
85MaleGoalkeepersU20Speed4,15
80MaleGoalkeepersU20Speed4,16
75MaleGoalkeepersU20Speed4,16
70MaleGoalkeepersU20Speed4,16
65MaleGoalkeepersU20Speed4,19
60MaleGoalkeepersU20Speed4,26
55MaleGoalkeepersU20Speed4,33
50MaleGoalkeepersU20Speed4,36
45MaleGoalkeepersU20Speed4,39
40MaleGoalkeepersU20Speed4,39
35MaleGoalkeepersU20Speed4,4
30MaleGoalkeepersU20Speed4,41
25MaleGoalkeepersU20Speed4,44
20MaleGoalkeepersU20Speed4,48
15MaleGoalkeepersU20Speed4,56
10MaleGoalkeepersU20Speed4,63
5MaleGoalkeepersU20Speed4,7

Table Tests

Full Name:Gender:Test ResultAgeCategoryPosition:Protocol
Sandro Graham AraujoMale3,37U20StrikersSpeed
Sandro GrahamMale4,10U20GoalkeepersSprint
Gustavo WallaceMale1,72U16GoalkeepersSprint

Hi @SanGraham 

For your calculated column in Table1 (Table Tests), extracting the percentile from Table2 (Tables Scores). You might have to tweak it a bit to get exactly what you need. Note the code checks whether the scorevalues are increasing or decreasing as the percentile increases, so that it can perform the correct operation. 

Extracted_Percentile = 
VAR relevantT_ = FILTER(Table2;Table2[AgeCategory]=Table1[AgeCategory] && Table2[Position] = Table1[Position] && Table2[Gender] = Table1[Gender] && Table2[Protocol]= Table1[Protocol])

VAR valueat100_ = MINX(FILTER(relevantT_;Table2[ScorePercent] = 100);Table2[ScoreValue])
VAR valueat5_ =  MINX(FILTER(relevantT_;Table2[ScorePercent] = 5);Table2[ScoreValue])
VAR orderIsdescending_ = valueat100_ > valueat5_  
VAR percentile_ = 
IF(orderIsdescending_;
    MAXX( FILTER(relevantT_; Table1[Test Result] >= Table2[ScoreValue]);Table2[ScorePercent]);
    MINX( FILTER(relevantT_; Table1[Test Result] >= Table2[ScoreValue]);Table2[ScorePercent]))
RETURN 
percentile_

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

@AlB Man thanks very much.

I need just to change 2 references, and to change one column type to work.
Thanks very much, you helped me a lot .

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors