cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resolver I
Resolver I

Re: Long time "Evaluating..." for no apparent reason during data import. Can it be made fa

Had one of our DEv staff upgrade to the August and September releases and solutions that have never had a probloem now timeout on dataload or sit in Evaluating mode.

Something is BROKEN !

Microsoft PLEASE Fix !

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Long time "Evaluating..." for no apparent reason during data import. Can it be made fa

Issue affecting me too.

Raised a ticket with PBI helpdesk, will keep you posted on response.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@Autonomousone  Did you ever get a response from the power bi team ?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Sorry for the late response. 

So after i raised the ticket, I came back over the weekend after shutting down my computer find that it was working correctly. I then recieved a call from MS and they advised to clear power BI cache and to then restart. 

Though I wasn't able to replicate this at that time that time, I ran into the same evaluation problem a few hours ago and after following the PBI team's advice - it appeared to have resolved the issue.

I followed the the steps in this link and just restarted my computer. 

https://www.c-sharpcorner.com/blogs/how-to-clear-cache-of-power-bi-desktop

Fingers crossed this works for you. 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

I am facing the exact same issue. Despite the fact that we use Power Bi Premium for Incremental refresh, it seems Power Bi is downloading the entire Datatable during 'Evaluating' when any changes are made in the queries. This makes making changes to queries very tiring and difficult when handling large databases. 

In a nutshell, this eliminates the usefullness of Incremental refresh fundamentally. Can you kindly confirm why PowerBI talkes ages at evaluating and what is done to ensure that Power BI desktop doesnt end up downloading entire database tables in PowerBI Desktop?

Regards,

Nouman Qaiser

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Mine takes hours.

Does anyone know if this also affects the scheduled refresh? Mine keeps timing out but comments in this thread are suggesting that the evaluating process might now happen on that end, so Im starting to think I might have another problem somewhere.

Thanks

Highlighted
Advocate II
Advocate II

Sharing my success in resolving this issue.  One of my PBIX dataset has many queries some of them are merge or reference queries.  Occasionaly I run into the issue of Report Refresh getting stuck in the initial "Evaluating" step, for all of my queries/tables, and this is stuck permanantly until I cancel the refresh.  Went through following solution ideas, and finally fixed it with the last one.

- Clear PBI Desktop cache: does not help.
- Refresh all queries in preview: also stuck.
- Clean cache then refresh all in preview: also stuck.

- Disable privacy check for the report: Success. Able to get past evaluation step immediately and refresh normally.

Reference article: https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2017/05/24/data-privacy-settings-in-power-bipower-query-part-1-performa...

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hi @chaz2jerry ,

best answer, you have saved lot of waitingtime of my live 🙂

Thank you!

BR,

Sven

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

This worked for me!!! Thank you!

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

In addition to what @chaz2jerry  has listed, you might want to check other data source locations in the file for any broken links.

You can find them under "Data source settings" (current file)

If any of those paths are broken, Power BI will hang with message "Evaluating...", even if your accessing a competely new location.

You can test this by opening a new blank Power BI and trying to access the same location.

To fix, check every path/source to make sure none are broken and have correct permissions etc.

I've reported the issue to Microsoft, as I don't think Power BI should just hang under any of the below scenarios, but rather report something back to the user to help resolve.

-Clear PBI Desktop cache: might help.

-Refresh all queries in preview: might help.

-Clean cache then refresh all in preview: might help.

-Disable privacy check for the report: might help

-Check all your path locations under "Data source settings": a broken path can lead to PBI hanging

I've also posted this as an Idea referencing this forum.

Helpful resources

Announcements
August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're excited to announce our first cross-community 'Can You Solve These?' challenge!

Community Blog

Community Blog

Visit our Community Blog for articles, guides, and information created by fellow community members.

Upcoming Events

Upcoming Events

Wondering what events you could join or have an event to promote yourself? Check out our Upcoming Events.

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

We are thrilled to announce we will begin running a monthly webinar series named Power BI Dev Camp.