cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

Long time "Evaluating..." for no apparent reason during data import. Can it be made faster?

I am connecting to a SQL database through a Stored Procedure. As far as I know, there is no intelligence that needs to be applied during the query. It should simply ask SQL to run the sproc, and gather the results.

However, for some reason, PBI stays a good two minutes or more, simply "evaluating". What is it doing exactly? Is there any way this can be accelerated, so that it gets to the date faster?

I've read about folding, but since this is running an sproc, I don't think it applies.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

30 REPLIES 30
Highlighted

This hack worked like a charm, but I searched for this problem only after waiting for a couple of hours. Microsoft seriously needs to look into this issue. Sometimes it gets dead stuck on "Evaluating". 

Highlighted

Well its abeen about ayear since I created this post and I still have same issues. I doubt they are going to be fixing it soon....Smiley Sad

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

This just started happening to me after upgrading to their August 2018 release.  So **bleep** annoying.  

**edit**

I just downgraded to June 2018 release to get past this issue.

Highlighted

I just started having issue of this today with a couple reports that requires join tables within PBI.... these are actually mission critical reports... anybody have any idea if MS is aware of this probleM?

the refresh has been fine for the last couple months we've been using thsi...

Highlighted

The AUGUST release has killed performance for me. Going to try the July version and compare...

Highlighted

It's official. The refresh complets in the July release but never completes in the August release!!!

Highlighted

Same behaviour. Where could we found old versions ? 

Is microsoft team aware about the issue ? 

Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

This issue appears to persist with the September 2018 release. I have to kill the refresh at least one time in order to pass the "Evaluating" phase.

Highlighted

Found a workaround:

1.  Go to Edit Queries

2.  Refresh Preview on every table.

3.  Close and Apply

4.  Refresh Data

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

1+ for this, has it been logged as a bug?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Community Conference

Microsoft Power Platform Communities

Check out the Winners!

secondImage

Create an end-to-end data and analytics solution

Learn how Power BI works with the latest Azure data and analytics innovations at the digital event with Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors