Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

robarivas
Post Patron
Post Patron

Long Delay to Connect

Certain pre-existing .pbix files on certain computers takes minutes to connect to any new data source. Here is the list of bizzare characteristics of this issue:

• if I leave the file open for a long time then eventually the ability to instantly/quickly connect to a new source usually returns
  • issue IS reproducible on certain computers but not others. For example Microsft tech support can't replicate the issue even with the same .pbix files that present the problem to me. I don't know what the computers that have the issue might have in common
  • if I open a fresh, blank .pbix then I can also instantly/quickly connect to a new source
  • .pbix files created prior to the March 2020 release don't seem to have this problem. But installing an older version of Power BI desktop doesn't fix the affected .pbix files
  • it seems like the larger the size of the .pbix the longer I have to wait before I can instantly connect to a new source
  • the .pbix files are Import only
  • Incremental refresh activated might be a commonality among the affected files

Any idea why this type of behavior exists on why it would manifest on certain PCs but not others?

2 REPLIES 2
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

When you say instantly connect, where exactly are you getting the delay, when you go to Get Data, the list of data sources takes a long time to load or at some other point? 

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hello @Greg_Deckler After I choose a source and give it the source path then it tries to connect to that source and generate a tiny preview before giving you the option to just load as is or jump into the Query Editor. At the point where it tries to connect to generate the preview is where it gets held up. In the image below I'm trying to connect to a tiny text file (9 kb).

Capture.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors