Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JMAN23

Local data upload

Hi, I cannot get my local file uploaded in Power BI professional services. This was working fine till last month. No error messages shown. Just seems upload finishes but data are not really loaded, even clicking on data refresh.

Any idea why? Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@JMAN23,

Why not directly adding excel source with gateway and schedule refresh for the dataset? This way, you don't have to import the local file each month when you have data change in Excel file.

In addition, do you make change to columns(rename columns, add new columns) in Excel file?

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@JMAN23,

What type of file do you upload to Power BI Service? Where do you connect "data refresh"? Do you configure gateway from this data source?

In addition, please use Power BI Desktop to connect to this file and check if you get any issues.

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

Thank you very much for your response.

Actually, I'm using Power BI Pro through my professional Office 365 account. I cannot install Power BI Desktop due to laptop administraion restrictions.

Since last year, I import on a monthly basis a local excel file to the dashboard in Power BI.

The steps a follow are:

1. Get Data
  2. Files/Get
  3. Local file
  4. Selection of the local file
  5. Import
  6. Message 'A dataset with the same name exists' --> Replace it

This has worked everytime for many months. However, now nothing happens.

The dashboard keeps showing the previous data not showing the new data from the local file.

I tried the Upload option instead of Import on setp 5. On this case, the local file is uploaded as a workbook correctly. But I don't know how to link the existing dashboard to the workbook.

By the way, my Pro trail is 22 days left, just in case this is somethig related.

I appreciate so much your support.

Regards

J

@JMAN23,

Why not directly adding excel source with gateway and schedule refresh for the dataset? This way, you don't have to import the local file each month when you have data change in Excel file.

In addition, do you make change to columns(rename columns, add new columns) in Excel file?

Regards,
Lydia

I will try it.

Thank you very much.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors