Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Sudharsanan
Helper III
Helper III

Loading selected data in power query/BI

Hello Folks,

I am trying to load  few rows from the large data using power Query. for example the file have 1000 rows and i need to load only the rows with certain keyword from a clolum. So is it possible to filter the data before reaching the power query editor? or is there an

3 REPLIES 3
BITomS
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hi @Sudharsanan,

The simple answer is yes.

It may help if you specify what type of database your source data is coming from, but for example, with a SQL server connection: You (or your database administrator, if this is not you) can create a view in your source database using a WHERE clause to only bring in row data based on the keyword in the column.

Alternatively, if you do not have the access to create this view, you can write this query yourself in Power Query. When you select 'New Source' you can write the SQL statement under advanced options, but you will have to know the DB server name:

OEMTomS_0-1658409494946.png

The principle is the same for other types of databases and there is even a 'blank query' option under 'New Source' which may allow you to achieve what you need.

Having said this, 1000 rows is not a very large amount of data, so Power Query should be fairly adept at handling this through an applied filter step.

Hope this helps.

Thank you @BITomS for your promt response

Actuall my source is in actual desktop where other application drops the file with month Name for everymonth. so i wanted my query to be updated based on the month dynamically. for example, if the file is placed for Aug 2022, my file should get refreshed without any manual changes on the source.

hope this gives better understanding:)

@Sudharsanan - yes, this sounds like a completely different issue to the original post!

For the problem in your response, you can use the connection from 'Get Data' > 'More' > 'File' > 'Folder' and enter the folder path. You must ensure the folder location contains only the files you need and that they have aligned formatting. This article may help: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/import-data-from-a-folder-with-multiple-files-power-query...

Edit: I just re-read your response and it sounds like you are just focused on a single file being stored in the same location - in this case, you can filter the table based on the file created date using the Date/Time filter: Is Latest.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors