Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

leehbi99
Frequent Visitor

Loading dataflow converts null to empty

I have a dataflow that is connected to an Oracle table.     Dataflow works okay, there is a null value in one of the rows.   The data preview for the dataflow shows this as (null) All good.    When I load data into Power BI from the dataflow the null value is converted into empty.  Hence an extra step is required to replace empty with null.  I need the null as I'm using PATH functions in DAX which require null.  Is this a bug or feature?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi

As tested, if the column is of text type or contains many types, when connect to dataflow with Power BI Desktop,

These columns show "null" cells as blank cell in Edit queries.

When loading into data model, all columns regardless of type text, number, date,,ect, would show "null" celss as blank cell.

To solve it, select teh columns, replace blank cell with "null",

If the UI doesn't work, please change the code with "null" as below.

Capture3.JPG

Capture4.JPG

Best Regards

Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi

As tested, if the column is of text type or contains many types, when connect to dataflow with Power BI Desktop,

These columns show "null" cells as blank cell in Edit queries.

When loading into data model, all columns regardless of type text, number, date,,ect, would show "null" celss as blank cell.

To solve it, select teh columns, replace blank cell with "null",

If the UI doesn't work, please change the code with "null" as below.

Capture3.JPG

Capture4.JPG

Best Regards

Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Nathaniel_C
Super User
Super User

Hi @leehbi99 ,

I tried this in a text column, and a numbers column. The number column will only replace with a number like 0 if I use a find and replace. The text column will replace with null. Not sure that is your problem. If checking the column type does not work, try @ImkeF who knows all the back doors in M language.

If this solves your issues, please mark it as the solution, so that others can find it easily. Kudos are nice too.
Nathaniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors