Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

MattiasS

Live connection OLAP support ONLY with SQL Server Ent. Plans for the future?

Hi.

I was thrilled when I read that with Enterprise Gateway, Power BI supports a live connection to an OLAP cube. BUT, this feature is only supported with SQL Server Enterprise. That eliminates all of our customers.

So are there any plans to support this great feature with a lower version than SQL Server Enterprise?

Are there any other options to use dynamic security with an on-premises OLAP cube?

Our situation looks like this. We have customers that have a DimGeography (Region, City, Address). Some users may have permissions to see 1 region, and some other may see all the regions. And in some cases the permissions are at the adress-level. All the data are on-premises.

Besides SSAS tabular and multi (with SQL Server Ent), are there any other solutions to solve this?

Best regards

Mattias 

2 REPLIES 2
jat75
Advocate II
Advocate II

Think it was a typo by Microsoft...we were able to connect to SQL Server BI edition cubes and tabular models using the new Enterprise Gateway. Probably just doesn't work for SQL Server Standard.

Okay thank you jat75. That was a major relief. I will try installing the enterprise gateway with the BI edition.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors