Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Listing complete Files paths from Base directory using multiple search parameters

I have a Table named tblBase which shows a BasePath , ClientName, Year. The ClientName will be typed in by user and the Year selected from a dropdown. Together these three will form a concatenated Base Directory i.e. BasePath\ClientName\Year\. As indicated, BasePath will be static, but ClientName and Year will be User inputs or selections.

Using this Base Directory, i want to search specific files listed in below table named tblFiles, such that, part of their sub-folder names are known and others unknown. The known ones are listed below in the table at their particular position from the Base Directory.

power query question.JPG

e.g.

test1.csv may have a filepath like \\BaseDirectory\{unknown sub-folder}\branding\{unknown sub-folder}\{unknown sub-folder}\

test2.csv may have a filepath like \\BaseDirectory\aesop\{unknown sub-folder}\markus\geneva\

test3.csv may have a filepath like \\BaseDirectory\{unknown sub-folder}\financials\{unknown sub-folder}\res\

test4.csv may have a filepath like \\BaseDirectory\model sim\{unknown sub-folder}\{unknown sub-folder}\markup\

1] Using this information, how can i list out the complete File paths in the Filepath column? Eventually i want to pull these files into Power Query again for further transformations.

2] What if - for some files, i just know the static sub-folder names in their Filepaths, but don't know their actual positions? In such a case, how can the power query code be made more dynamic?

As a note - these files may appear in other sub-folders, other than the hierarchy suggested in above table. So those need to be excluded from the search.

2 REPLIES 2
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

(1) you can use Merge columns to merge mutiple columns.

(2) as per my knowledge, there is no such feature currently to achieve this.

Maybe someone else can help you.

Best Regards
Maggie

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-juanli-msft (Maggie),

For point 1, could you elaborate on how i can merge the columns, if there are unknown sub-folders in between the filepaths?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors