Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CarlosFF
Frequent Visitor

List.Select using a list from column names. Count ocurrences in columns starting with string.

Hi

Im trying to count Yes/No/NA occurrences in the columns that starts with a scpecific string. Doing in this way will permit use the same code in tables with different number of columns.

If the columns are hardcoded, it works. I get a new calculated column with the count of "Not Applicable" in this example.

QGROUP1.CountNA = Table.AddColumn(GROUP1.CountNo, "GROUP1.CountNA", each List.Count(List.Select({[GROUP1.1], [GROUP1.2], [GROUP1.3], [GROUP1.4], [GROUP1.5], [GROUP1.6], [GROUP1.7], [GROUP1.8]},each _ = "Not Applicable")),Int64.Type),

But I fail trying to generate dinamically the columns name list

{[GROUP1.1], [GROUP1.2], [GROUP1.3], [GROUP1.4], [GROUP1.5], [GROUP1.6], [GROUP1.7], [GROUP1.8]}

Two approaches

MyList1= List.Select(Table.ColumnNames(#"Reordered Columns"), each Text.StartsWith(_, "GROUP1")),
MyList2=List.Transform(MyList1, each  "[" & _ & "]"),

MyList1 generates succesfully a list with the column names starting with GROUP1

MyList2 is the same list with the brackets added for each item.

But the following fails, it counts 0 using MyList1 or MyList2. Using the hardcoded list obviously works, like N/A case above.

GROUP1.CountYes = Table.AddColumn(#"Reordered Columns", "GROUP1.CountYes", each List.Count(List.Select(MyList1,each _ = "Yes")),Int64.Type),

GROUP1.CountNo = Table.AddColumn(GROUP1.CountYes, "GROUP1.CountNo", each List.Count(List.Select(MyList2,each _ = "No")), Int64.Type),

My guess is that is something related to the type of the items in the list - text?

Any help is appreciated

Thank you very much

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
CarlosFF
Frequent Visitor

Hi.

I have found this approach in 

https://www.mrexcel.com/board/threads/better-power-query-formula-to-get-a-list-of-table-columns-name... 

MyCols = List.Buffer(List.Select(Table.ColumnNames(#"Reordered Columns"), each Text.StartsWith(_, "GROUP_"))),

GROUP_1_Yes = Table.AddColumn(#"Reordered Columns" , "GROUP_1_Yes", each List.Count(List.Select(Record.ToList(Record.SelectFields(_,MyCols)), each _ = "Yes"))   ,Int64.Type),

Thank you all for your help!

🙂

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
CarlosFF
Frequent Visitor

Hi.

I have found this approach in 

https://www.mrexcel.com/board/threads/better-power-query-formula-to-get-a-list-of-table-columns-name... 

MyCols = List.Buffer(List.Select(Table.ColumnNames(#"Reordered Columns"), each Text.StartsWith(_, "GROUP_"))),

GROUP_1_Yes = Table.AddColumn(#"Reordered Columns" , "GROUP_1_Yes", each List.Count(List.Select(Record.ToList(Record.SelectFields(_,MyCols)), each _ = "Yes"))   ,Int64.Type),

Thank you all for your help!

🙂

AlB
Super User
Super User

@CarlosFF 

what HTML error exactly? Where?

Please mark the question solved when done and consider giving a thumbs up if posts are helpful.

Contact me privately for support with any larger-scale BI needs, tutoring, etc.

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

watkinnc
Super User
Super User

If it's a matter of having more or less columns, but the column names themselves do not change, then you can have a list of all the possible columns in a list in a separate query (perhaps using Table.ColumnNames(TableWithAllTheColumns), but get them all in a list, named Columns. Then just:

Table.SelectColumns(TableName, Columns, MissingField.Ignore)

The MissingField.Ignore parameter will look for all of the columns in the Columns list, and if the columns do not exist, they get ignored. Those that do exist get selected.

--Nate

I’m usually answering from my phone, which means the results are visualized only in my mind. You’ll need to use my answer to know that it works—but it will work!!

It is a nice option for your scenario where names do not change. In my tables the columns to be used start with a specific string but they are different in every table.  Table 1 (GROUP1.1 GROUP1.2)  Table 2 (GROUP2.1 GROUP2.2)

Thanks!

Best regards

AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @CarlosFF 

Can you share the table (a few rows would suffice) you are trying to apply this on? So that we can copy the contents and run a couple of tests.

Please mark the question solved when done and consider giving a thumbs up if posts are helpful.

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

CarlosFF
Frequent Visitor

Hi. The table looks aprox like this.

I am sorry but I do not see how to upload the table. It is my first post in this forum 😞  🙂

TablePBI.jpg

Hi, @CarlosFF , it's simple enough like this,

GROUP1.CountYes = Table.AddColumn(#"Reordered Columns", "GROUP1.CountYes", each List.Count(List.Select(Record.ToList(_),each _ = "Yes")),Int64.Type),

GROUP1.CountNo = Table.AddColumn(GROUP1.CountYes, "GROUP1.CountNo", each List.Count(List.Select(Record.ToList(_),each _ = "No")), Int64.Type),

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

DAX is simple, but NOT EASY!

Hi. It looks simple.

Where you put the list name? 

GROUP1.CountNo = Table.AddColumn(GROUP1.CountYes, "GROUP1.CountNo", each List.Count(List.Select(Record.ToList(MYLIST),each _ = "No")), Int64.Type),

As argument of Record.ToList it gives the following error, using MyList1 or MyList2 (items with brackets) 

Expression.Error: We cannot convert a value of type List to type Record.
Details:
Value=[List]
Type=[Type]

Thanks!

@CarlosFF 

You can just paste it here as normal text. Use the copy table option in PQ an paste here. 

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

CarlosFF
Frequent Visitor

Nice feature. It pastes correctly but when saving gives an HTML error. I have tried copying from excel and power Bi. No way. Also doing the table manually. Weird.

Best regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors