Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Vaishali04
Helper II
Helper II

List.Max filter on date degrading Power query performance

Hi All,

I am using below step in query  to limit data in my query. In below line am puting  filter in query to just to load only  last 7 days data. But this is taking too much time to execute in PBI desktop. Is there any alternate logic to optimize the performance.

#"Filtered Rows2" = Table.SelectRows(#"Removed Columns", each [date] >=Date.AddDays( List.Max(#"Removed Columns"[date]),-7))

Please help if anyone has suggestions.

Regards

Vaishali

5 REPLIES 5
watkinnc
Super User
Super User

Actually, a much faster method is to calculate the variable before adding it to the function. So if your prior step was PriorStep:

Last7 = Date.AddDays(Date.From(DateTime.LocalNow()), -7),

NewTable = Table.SelectRows(PriorStep, each [date] >= Last7)

in NewTable

I don't know why we are wasting so much effort calculating T-7 from the whole big dataset, when we can just get the value once, easily, and just filter using the value. Sooooo much faster.

Love Power Query!

--Nate

I’m usually answering from my phone, which means the results are visualized only in my mind. You’ll need to use my answer to know that it works—but it will work!!

Hi thanks for ur reply

In my case datazone is different and max data is always less than localnow() date . He we are using localnow() but  I  want to use max of date column of the data .

V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Vaishali04 

You can just sort the date column in descending order, then add an index to filter to <=7. This should be faster. BTW, if you have duplicated date, you would need to group by before the index column.

#"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(#"Changed Type",{{"Date", Order.Descending}}),
#"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Sorted Rows", "Index", 1, 1, Int64.Type),
#"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Added Index", each [Index] <= 7)
in
#"Filtered Rows"

V-pazhen-msft_0-1620372114030.png

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi , Thanks for ur reply 

Indexing will not work in my case there are multiple rows for single date in my data

watkinnc
Super User
Super User

Try buffering a distinct list:

#"Filtered Rows2" = Table.SelectRows(#"Removed Columns", each [date] >=Date.AddDays( List.Max(List.Buffer(List.Distinct(_[date]))),-7))

--Nate

I’m usually answering from my phone, which means the results are visualized only in my mind. You’ll need to use my answer to know that it works—but it will work!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors