Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JamesMcEwan
Helper I
Helper I

List.Accumulate with conditional field

Hi, 

I am trying to use List.Accumulate on a list of Items, however the items should be added to the accumulate or removed from the accumulate depending on the TransactionType. For instance the below should result in a ItemID list of {1,2,3,4,5,9,10}:

[TransactionID = 1, LineID = 1, TransactionType = "Add", ItemID = {1..3}],
[TransactionID = 2, LineID = 2, TransactionType = "Add", ItemID = {4..7}],
[TransactionID = 3, LineID = 3, TransactionType = "Rem", ItemID = {6..8}],
[TransactionID = 4, LineID = 4, TransactionType = "Add", ItemID = {9..10}]

Here is a working table orders, each containing the order nested table with the ItemID lists. the RETURN column is what I wish to see. 

EDIT: I should add that the ItemID can be alphanumeric. 

Hope this makes sense. 

let
    Source =    
    Table.FromRecords(
            {
                [CustomerID = 1, Name = "Bob", Order = 
                    Table.FromRecords(
                        {
                        }
                    )
                , RESULT = {1,2,3,4,5,9,10}],
               [CustomerID = 2, Name = "Jim", Order =  
                    Table.FromRecords(
                        {
                            [TransactionID = 5, LineID = 1, TransactionType = "Add", ItemID = {1..4}],
                            [TransactionID = 6, LineID = 2, TransactionType = "Rem", ItemID = {3..6}],
                            [TransactionID = 7, LineID = 3, TransactionType = "Add", ItemID = {6..10}],
                            [TransactionID = 8, LineID = 4, TransactionType = "Rem", ItemID = {8..9}]
                        }
                    )
              , RESULT = {1,2,6,7,10}]
            }
    )

in
    Source

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The issue is that [Order][TransactionType] is a list value, not a text value.  In your accumulator, you want to pass in Table.ToRecords([Order]), then use c[TransactionType] and c[ItemId] instead of [TransactionType] and c respectivly. Also, the & is the list concatnation operator.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
artemus
Employee
Employee

Your accumulate function would start with an empty list, and have an "if" that tests the TransationType. On TransationType = "Add", you would use List.Distinct(current & next) and on TransactionType = "Rem" you would use List.RemoveItems(current, next) where current and next are the first and second parameters to your accumulate function.

Hi @artemus,

Thanks for the help. I think I get your answer conceptually and tried to impliment it over the table I have - however it the lists return zero records so I must be doing something wrong:

let
    Source =    
        Table.FromRecords(
            {
                    Table.FromRecords(
                        {
                        }
                    )
                    Table.FromRecords(
                        {
                        }
                    )
              , RESULT = {1,2,6,7,10}]
            }
    ),
    ForumAccumulate = 
        Table.AddColumn(Source, "ForumResult", 
            each List.Accumulate( 
                [Order][ItemID],
                {},
                (s,c) => 
                if [Order][TransactionType] = "Add" 
                then List.Distinct ( s & c ) 
                else List.RemoveItems ( s , c )
            )
        )
in
    ForumAccumulate

The issue is that [Order][TransactionType] is a list value, not a text value.  In your accumulator, you want to pass in Table.ToRecords([Order]), then use c[TransactionType] and c[ItemId] instead of [TransactionType] and c respectivly. Also, the & is the list concatnation operator.

Hi @artemus,

Fantastic - of course! Sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees. Below is the solution I used. 

Thanks so much for your help!

let
    Source =    
        Table.FromRecords(
            {
                    Table.FromRecords(
                        {
                        }
                    )
                    Table.FromRecords(
                        {
                        }
                    )
              , RESULT = {1,2,6,7,10}]
            }
    ),
        ForumAccumulate = 
            Table.AddColumn(
                Source, 
                "ForumResult", 
                each List.Accumulate( 
                    Table.ToRecords([Order]),
                        {},
                        (s,c) => 
                            if c[TransactionType] = "Add" 
                            then List.Distinct ( s & c[ItemID] ) 
                            else List.RemoveItems ( s , c[ItemID] )
                )
            )
in
    ForumAccumulate

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors