Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gaiusgw
Helper III
Helper III

LOOKUPVALUE with Direct Query or an alternative needed

I have looked through several similiar threads and am not finding a simple solution for this. 

I am using 2 direct query sql soruces and I cannot change to import mode because I need the data to update daily. I am trying to pull values in from one table to another table. LOOKUPVALUE is not an option apparently or at least I cannot find a way to make it work. Here is a simplifed example of the 2 tables and the result I am looking to achieve. 

Table 1

CONTROL_NO                   

CUST               

FOX

FOX

PIG

PIG

PIG

DOG

DOG

SHEEP

SHEEP

COW

BEAR

Table 2

CONTROL_NO            

BULK 

TRUE

FALSE

TRUE

FALSE

TRUE

FALSE

Table 1 result I am looking for

CONTROL_NO            

CUST            

BULK            

FOX

TRUE

FOX

TRUE

PIG

FALSE

PIG

FALSE

PIG

FALSE

DOG

TRUE

DOG

TRUE

SHEEP

FALSE

SHEEP

FALSE

COW

TRUE

BEAR

FALSE

As I am sure you can tell, I am very new to Power BI. Any help would be truly appreciated. Thanks a lot. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Glad to help. Can you mark one/more of these as the solution so this thread can be closed.

On a semi-related matter, you don't need LOOKUPVALUE here either. You are thinking VLOOKUP in Excel. In Power BI, you should usually think merge. LOOKUPVALUE has its uses, but it is pretty rare - much rarer than doing any kind of VLOOKUP/XLOOKUP in Excel because of how merges and the data model works.

See this file. It shows you how to merge those two tables and bring the TRUE/FALSE column into the first table. In Power BI, it the Transform button on the Home ribbon to get into Power Query to see it.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

Awesome! Thanks a lot @edhans, really appreciate the advice. 👍

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
MrBrownn
Frequent Visitor

Hello, any solution for the initial problem? but staying in a "Direct Query" it's mandatory for me.

thanks 

edhans
Super User
Super User

You shouldn't be using Direct Query @gaiusgw . If your data updates daily, just use a Scheduled Refresh to import the data. You can refreh data in a Pro workspace 8 times a day, and a Premium or Premium Per User workspace 48 times a day. Direct Query is almost always overused in the perceived desire to have up to date data, but it has many drawbacks:

1. Time Intelligence doesn't work
  2. Some DAX functions don't work
  3. Some visuals have limited support
  4. The experience for the report viewer is often slower

People new to Power BI often fall into the "Direct Query gives me up to date info" trap and quickly paint themselves into a functionality corner. I did the same thing when I started. Now, I rarely use it. 

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

@edhans thanks for the explaniation and warning. I have been at this less than 1 month and assumed like you said that directquery was the best option. I am using desktop right now. Do you know if the data refreshes each time it is opened? Or must you actually click refresh? I am not finding a setting to autorefesh when opening using desktop. Also, do you know if it possible to change the source to import or must i start from scratch? Thanks a lot. 

You can convert from Direct Query to Import. You cannot go the other way though. At the bottom of your report there is a button to switch. Click it and this dialog opens warning you this is a one way street, and then let's you change to Import.

2021-03-23_11-46-27.png

The service is where scheduled refreshes happen. The desktop app is only for development. You publish to the service, then set refreshes there on a schedule. That is where you do your analysis.

So i did covert to import but i see an issue. some of the tables i am working with have over 1.6 million lines and so it takes about 15 minutes to refresh on desktop currently. this is 5 years worth of data so i can expect in another 5 years it will take 30 minutes to load and so on. directquery takes less than 30 seconds to load. am i in a rock and a hard place here? either take 15-30 mintues to load everyday or use directquery and not have the certain functions like LOOKUPVALUE? is there a way to import just new lines to cut down refresh time? 

You would do this using Incremental Refresh - in the service. You set it up in the desktop, but when you publish, it will only refresh recent data - whatever that is for you. Last 5 days, 5 weeks, 2 years. Whatever. The older data is retained. 

But even if you don't use incremental refresh, the service refreshes automatically. So you said this was updated daily. So set the refresh to happen at 11pm. When you come in the next morning, it is up to date. You can even work in the report in the service while it is refreshing. When it is done, it will show you newer data if you refresh your browser or change your pages.

The 15min for 1.6M lines seems like something else is going on too. I can use the 12M+ record Contoso database and it takes less than 5Min to fully refresh on my laptop, so it may be your server is part of the speed issue. You can read more about Incremental Refresh here.

I appreciate that you are new to Power BI. It is very powerful and will ultimately be a rewarding experience for you. But today I think you are looking at it like Excel where you have Excel and that is your data. Power BI is not Power BI Desktop. Power BI is the Power BI Desktop app, workspaces in the service, scheduled refresh settings, Reports, Apps, Sharing, and more. When you limit yourself to just the desktop app, you are hitting the roadblocks you are getting frustrated with. Power BI Desktop is not designed to be the end user analysis tool. The service is. But you have to understand how most of the pieces fit together. One place to get started is here. There are books about Power BI you could read. One is by Reza Rad called From Rookie to Rockstar. It is so massive it is 4 books, but also free. The first book has a lot of info on the service, talks about workspaces, refreshes, etc.

There are videos too, and for pay courses. They will help you see more clearly than I can in a community post how all of the pieces fit together.

I really appreciate your time and all the detailed explaniations and resources you have shared. Thanks a lot. 

Glad to help. Can you mark one/more of these as the solution so this thread can be closed.

On a semi-related matter, you don't need LOOKUPVALUE here either. You are thinking VLOOKUP in Excel. In Power BI, you should usually think merge. LOOKUPVALUE has its uses, but it is pretty rare - much rarer than doing any kind of VLOOKUP/XLOOKUP in Excel because of how merges and the data model works.

See this file. It shows you how to merge those two tables and bring the TRUE/FALSE column into the first table. In Power BI, it the Transform button on the Home ribbon to get into Power Query to see it.

Awesome! Thanks a lot @edhans, really appreciate the advice. 👍

gaiusgw
Helper III
Helper III

Here is some more detail to make the issue clearer. 

Here you can see that my sources are directquery. So I am not able to edit unless I am using transform data. 

Capture.JPG

OPENDET is where I need to add the info to. 

2.JPG

OPENHEAD is where I need to pull the info from. I need the info in the BULK column. The common link is CONTROL_NO. 

3.JPG

Here you can see when I attempt to add a column and use LOOKUPVALUE, it is not recognized. 

4.JPG5.JPG

Is there a way for me to pull the BULK info from OPENHEAD to add a column in OPENDET in transform data view? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can create calculated column in Table 1 using following DAX formula :

BULK = LOOKUPVALUE(TABLE2[CONTROL_NOBULK],TABLE2[ID],TABLE1[Id])

My tables did not have enough spacing but i understand what you meant. I have edited. 

BULK = LOOKUPVALUE(TABLE2[BULK],TABLE2[CONTROL_NO],TABLE1[CONTROL_NO])

However, I am using direct queries, not imported data, so LOOKUPVALUE does not work and RELATED does not either. I have used the above formula in imported databases and no problem. But for direct query, I need a solution to add a column that pulls in value from another direct query based on a related field. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors