Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

JulieP
Frequent Visitor

LOOKUP VALUE between two dates

I have posted this question on a different thread and was suggested to create it here. and tag @ImkeF @edhans 

I have a specific date, and I want to look this up to return a value against two dates.

Table 1: I am trying to find the value of Term Code from Table 2 that is between the Term_End_Date and the End_Date_Threshold:

Table 1.PNG

Table 2: Where the lookup value is to be retrieved from

Table 2.PNG

I achieved this in excel by using the formula: XLOOKUP(C1,$K$2:K5,$M$2:M5,"",-1,1), and I want to replicate this PowerQuery or DAX. All I need is a resulting table like this:

resulting Table.PNG

There are no relationships between the tables, and I am not sure merging a table is an option, as I would like the value to be updated once the data source is updated.

I would really appreciate any feedback and guidance.

Kind regards,

JulieP

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
edhans
Super User
Super User

Try this @JulieP 

I did 2 things. First, I took your table of ranges and converted it to a table that had all dates between the ranges. It looks like this (I used my own data as I wasn't going to key data in from those images)

It originally looked like this:

edhans_1-1635116010974.png

After the new column, it looks like this:

edhans_0-1635115913045.png

It used this simple formula in a new column:

{Number.From([Start Date])..Number.From([End Date])}

I then expanded that list of numbers to new rows and changed the type to date.

Then, in the 2nd table, I just merged back to the first table. It looks like this now:

edhans_2-1635116069815.png

You can see my file here. It is Excel, just open up Power Query. The same logic will work in Power BI. Just set the range table to not load in Power BI, only the final table you need.

You can so an equivalent to a VLOOKUP in Power Query, and Imke might have some more complex code to do it, but you cannot do it simply with a Table.SelectRows and use a filter to < and > as it will be super slow to the point of not completing as the data size grows beyond a few thousand rows. Power Query is horrible at scanning tables. Isn't designed for it.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
edhans
Super User
Super User

Try this @JulieP 

I did 2 things. First, I took your table of ranges and converted it to a table that had all dates between the ranges. It looks like this (I used my own data as I wasn't going to key data in from those images)

It originally looked like this:

edhans_1-1635116010974.png

After the new column, it looks like this:

edhans_0-1635115913045.png

It used this simple formula in a new column:

{Number.From([Start Date])..Number.From([End Date])}

I then expanded that list of numbers to new rows and changed the type to date.

Then, in the 2nd table, I just merged back to the first table. It looks like this now:

edhans_2-1635116069815.png

You can see my file here. It is Excel, just open up Power Query. The same logic will work in Power BI. Just set the range table to not load in Power BI, only the final table you need.

You can so an equivalent to a VLOOKUP in Power Query, and Imke might have some more complex code to do it, but you cannot do it simply with a Table.SelectRows and use a filter to < and > as it will be super slow to the point of not completing as the data size grows beyond a few thousand rows. Power Query is horrible at scanning tables. Isn't designed for it.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting
JulieP
Frequent Visitor

Thank you so much! I think i got it handled. I was trying to directly copy the xlookup logic. which I am slowly realising that may not apply in powerquery.

Thanks again!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors