Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MCPCN

JSON data - nested Lists and Records to columns

Hi experts - I'm brand new to PowerBI / PowerQuery and have been struggling with this for a couple of days - hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I'm querying a JSON API for some custom form data. The API returns 3 types of form objects, the third of which can have multiple instances (obfuscating the name of the field to keep things anonymous):

TimeSpent

BackendFields

Form3

Form3

Form3

This results in the following table in PowerBI (hidden fields are all type Form3):

MCPCN_0-1675265219380.png

Contents of Form3.CustomForm.FieldValues is a list of Records like this:

MCPCN_1-1675265278956.png

Each instance of Form 3 has 4 records, with 4 fields in each record:

- FieldName

- FieldDisplayName

- FieldLabel

- Value

e.g. 

MCPCN_4-1675266938534.png

The FieldName values are always the same for each instance of Form 3, Value values differ each time.

My task is to get all data from the records into a new table, 1 row per instamce. The FieldName from the records (always the same) as the header and the Value as the value on each row:

(all.record1.FieldName)

(all.record2.FieldName)

(all.record3.FieldName)

(all.record4.FieldName)

(instance1.record1.FieldValue)(instance1.record2.FieldValue)(instance1.record3.FieldValue)(instance1.record4.FieldValue)
(instance2.record1.FieldValue)(instance2.record2.FieldValue)(instance2.record3.FieldValue)(instance2.record4.FieldValue)

I've tried expanding the column of Lists (with records per list) both ways (new rows/extract values), but neither lets me expand the record fields to columns.

Any ideas?

0 REPLIES 0

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors