Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

JSON API with Specific Parameters

Hi, 

I am new to power BI - I have basic knowledge with BI platforms and APIs.

Goal:

Retrive data and showcase it to the end user - the user needs to selected the parameters (client name, and date). 

How: 

The data is being pulled by an API - with the parameters specified byt the user, then specific data will be provided. 

I was able to connect a JSON API and uploaded into power BI - the issue is that that API was already preselected and only provides data to a single client I want to have multiple clients and trigger diffrent APIs. 

Is this possible to acconmplish? Basically I want to have a dropdown with the clients use the name of the client and trigget the API. 

Thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

If my understanding is correct, this should be doable with 2 parameters that hold all clients names and possible dates (or a free-form field for the date)  and a function that calls the API(s) and takes the selected parameter as an input.

So the users can select their bits through the API and then refresh the dataset. (No scheduled refresh through the PBI service then, though. )

See this article for example on how to write a function: https://www.poweredsolutions.co/2019/02/19/parameters-and-functions-in-power-bi-power-query-custom-f...

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

If my understanding is correct, this should be doable with 2 parameters that hold all clients names and possible dates (or a free-form field for the date)  and a function that calls the API(s) and takes the selected parameter as an input.

So the users can select their bits through the API and then refresh the dataset. (No scheduled refresh through the PBI service then, though. )

See this article for example on how to write a function: https://www.poweredsolutions.co/2019/02/19/parameters-and-functions-in-power-bi-power-query-custom-f...

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Anonymous
Not applicable

I will try to do this, it sounds like a viable solution! Thanks for your help!

v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous ,

From my knowledge, I'm afraid that this is based on your JSON API, you'd better have a contact the developer of the API and check if he could modify it.

Otherwise, I'm afraid that you need to trigger diffrent APIs to get the data of multiple clients.

Maybe @ImkeF  will have other ideas.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your feedback !

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors