Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Bessonnizza
Helper II
Helper II

Iterate function without cache result

Hello all!

I have a request to a webservice that returns an authorization token: fnAuthorization. I use List.Generate function to iterate function to get different tokens, but when I call fnAuthorization or update data, Fiddler show that power bi makes only one request to the service and return one token in all rows.

Does anyone know how to force power bi to make several requests of the same type instead of one? I will be glad for any help.

Screenshot_1.png

Result

let
    result = List.Generate(
        () => [i=0, res=fnAuthorization()],
        each [i]<10,
        each [i=[i]+1, res=fnAuthorization()],
        each [res]

),
    #"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(result, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
    #"Expanded Column1" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Converted to Table", "Column1", {"SessionId"}, {"SessionId"})
in
    #"Expanded Column1"

fnAuthorization

let
    Source = () => let
            data = Json.FromValue([Login="",Password=""]),
            headers = [#"accept"="application/json; charset=utf-8", #"Content-Type"="application/json"],
            web = Web.Contents("url", [ Content = data, Headers = headers, ManualStatusHandling = {404, 400}]),
            result = Json.Document(web),
            #"Converted to Table" = Record.ToTable(result),
            #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Converted to Table", List.Distinct(#"Converted to Table"[Name]), "Name", "Value")
        in
            #"Pivoted Column"
in
    Source

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know at all the subject and the environment of API calls and WEB accesses, but I am interested in following the discussion.
In the meantime, I would be curious to know the result of a test that I cannot do.
you could adapt this code to your case with your function instead of f (x) and see if this "bypasses" the effect of caching

let  
  lf=List.Repeat({f},10),
    result = List.Generate(
        ()=> [i=0, res=lf{i}(i)],
        each [i]<10,
        each [i=[i]+1, res=lf{[i]}(i)],
        each [res]

),
f=(x)=>x+1

in
    result

let  
  lf=List.Repeat({f},10),
    result = List.Generate(
        ()=> [i=0, res=lf{i}()],
        each [i]<10,
        each [i=[i]+1, res=lf{[i]}()],
        each [res]

),
f=()=>"get token"

in
    result

the idea  (probably naive) is to make believe (I don't know who or what) that they are functions call different, while instead they are the same call

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Here's a simplified version. See if that can get around the cache issue. @ImkeF Any suggestion on how to avoid caching?

let
    Source = List.Generate(()=>0,each _<10,each _+1),
    #"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(Source, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
    #"Invoked Custom Function" = Table.AddColumn(#"Converted to Table", "SessionId", each fnAuthorization())
in
    #"Invoked Custom Function"

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors