Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Issues with Multiple OPD Gateways

I have ODP gateways installed on two servers. One is a SQL database and the other is a file server. I am trying to access sources from both gateways in one query. One source is a table from the the SQL database and the other source is an excel workbook from the file server. Both gateways and sources are functioning on my PBi site. If I load them in seperate queries and publish independent of each, OPD Gateway is available and refreshes. If I try to add the other source and publish it as one dataset the option for OPD Gateway goes grey and is unavailable.  I was able to make it work if I loaded the workbook first but that is not ideal as i will be adding more workbooks and tables later. It makes no sense why it would work seperately and not together.

Any ideas what may be causing this to occur?

Thanks

OPD Gateway Connected.PNGOPD Gateway Combined Sources Not Connected.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous If I read what you said correctly, you got the refresh to work if you loaded the Excel data source first?... That would be new, I was always under the impression (and why I think you are having the problem) that all the datasources for a dataset had to belong to the same gateway in order for you to be able to refresh. I'm not aware of any "split gateway" scenerio working for a single dataset.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

@Anonymous If I read what you said correctly, you got the refresh to work if you loaded the Excel data source first?... That would be new, I was always under the impression (and why I think you are having the problem) that all the datasources for a dataset had to belong to the same gateway in order for you to be able to refresh. I'm not aware of any "split gateway" scenerio working for a single dataset.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Seth_C_Bauer you are correct. The issue was really a result of the data source using a copied file path instead of using UNC to create the file path. After I switched to UNC (Universal Naming Convention - \\servername\sharename\path\filename)  the datasource was recognized by the gateway installed on my SQL server and became available.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors