Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

Anonymous
Not applicable

Issues with Combining/Appending CSV files | Some CSV files are not poppulating?

Hi all,

I am working with Queue logs from RPA solution. I have 7 CSV files that I want to append one on top of the other. 2 of the CSV files are not poppulating correctly. Here are the files I want to append from my OneDrive:

rzavgazaryan_0-1628611357443.png

As you can see, two of the CSV files are not showing the file size. Those are the same ones that are not poppulating when appending. So my next step that I do, is connecting via the Query editor like so:

rzavgazaryan_1-1628611458623.png

I hit the transform data button and here is where I am now - As you can see, the file origin in '65001: Unicode (UTF-8)

rzavgazaryan_2-1628611542082.png

Now if I go to sample file, and select one of the CSV files that are not poppulating, you'll see that the file origin is: 1252 Western European (Windows) and it doesn't poppulate any sample data either:

rzavgazaryan_3-1628611659708.png

Same goes for the other CSV file that isn't working:

rzavgazaryan_4-1628611693242.png

But as you can see here, all the other CSV files samples are poppulating just fine:

rzavgazaryan_5-1628611731809.png

Now with everything combines, here is what the Query looks like: The source.name shows all of the CSV files names which is what we want:

rzavgazaryan_6-1628611782351.png

Now if I filter to those two CSV files, here is what I get:

rzavgazaryan_7-1628611853935.png

As you can see, there is no data from these CSV files. Given all of this information, what is the matter? Is it something with the timezones? How can I solve this issue and appenda all of these correctly? Would apprciate any help here.

2 REPLIES 2
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Looks like it caused in OneDrive not in Power Query becasue the two special files do not show the correct file size in OneDrive so Power Query idetified them as blank files.

When you upload these files to OneDrive, has OneDrive reminds that upload successfully like this?

upload.png

You can try to re-upload these two files to check them agagin.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Vera_33
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous 

I don't use sample query, my guess is your CSVs do not have the same structure to append? You can add a custom column to get table for each CSV before combine them - you have the chance to see the structure and determine what's next. There are many post about this, here is one:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Power-Query/Avoid-Helper-Queries/m-p/1752185#M52989

Helpful resources

Announcements
March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors