Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Gjakovasc

Issue with Type Conversion and CSV?

I've got some trouble with type conversion. CSV flat contains column named rocket cost and it is written in format 50.0 or 75.0 or 1,130.0 etc. So it is clearly english format, where , is thousand sepeartor and . is decimal separator. When I try to load it into Power BI I get text file (beacuse I'm working on polish local settings where there is no . in numbers). So I want change regional settings for this column as USA. But unfortunatly I get strange thing, acutally I see numbers but from 50.0 it changes to 50,0. That's ridiciolous and not understandable for me. Can any1 help? Maybe if I stream my screen for you, you will see what's going on more clearly. I need perhaps 3 minutes of your time so if any1 can help I would be very very thankful

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ray_ux
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@Gjakovasc 
There's culture applied
1. on import, in power query. If not specified it defaults to the current system
2. after importing the value there's a display culture that doesn't have to mutate the underlying data type. Like date-times are integers/floats under the hood, but you can set them to display in any text format.

You can use the optional culture parameter set to en-US Which tells it use that locale/culture's rules for converting text to numbers.

#"Numbers from en-US" = Table.TransformColumns(
        Source,
        {
            {"Number", each Number.FromText(_, "en-US"), type number}
        }
    ),

hopefully this solve the problem.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
ray_ux
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@Gjakovasc 
There's culture applied
1. on import, in power query. If not specified it defaults to the current system
2. after importing the value there's a display culture that doesn't have to mutate the underlying data type. Like date-times are integers/floats under the hood, but you can set them to display in any text format.

You can use the optional culture parameter set to en-US Which tells it use that locale/culture's rules for converting text to numbers.

#"Numbers from en-US" = Table.TransformColumns(
        Source,
        {
            {"Number", each Number.FromText(_, "en-US"), type number}
        }
    ),

hopefully this solve the problem.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors