Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

LeaW

Issue with PowerQuery and lookups

Hi, I am new to PowerQuery and have managed to build a finance dashboard for my manager. We don't work with a proper database so I had to create my own lookup tables to show industry and region against a  unique client ID. The client ID comes from our finance system where each client ID can have many different finance entries (like invoices). I set the relationship so that the finance report (main data set and in CSV format) would connect the Client ID to the Client ID of my lookup table that has the region and the industry. Everything worked well. Today I added my next CSV to my folder where PowerQuery is getting my finance data information from and the main amounts and rows update correctly, however it is now showing every single region and industry against every single Client ID which is incorrect. What am I doing wrong here and how do I fix it?

3 REPLIES 3
LeaW

Thank you for that. I am not using PowerBi, I am using PowerQuery in Excel. Where do I find the setting to say show items with no data?

The one online course I did demonstrated that I needed to drag the Client ID from my data set (with multiple transaction items) to the client id of my lookup. 

LeaW_0-1652909196791.png

My bad, I made the wrong assumption. Instead of "now" I read "not"  😞

If you see data "multiplying"  that means you are missing a connection in your data model between the tables that your data comes from.

Can you post a sample file that illustrates your issue?

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Power BI by default suppresses rows/columns without data. In your visual enable the setting "show items with no data"  for both rows and columns values. 

You will also learn that it is important which side of a table relationship you pick the key column from to put into your visual (difference between left and inner join, sort of).

Happy learning!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors