Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ppatel91
Helper I
Helper I

Is there a way the to filter the power query table rows based on the RLS filter?

What I am trying to achieve here is to when user log in on our embedded reports that filter should apply to my power query table row to narrow down only one row for that perticular USER_GUID so I can use that row later to call my Azure Model. In the screen shot you can see that I have USER_GUID column and I want to filter that based on the USER who logs In which already applies to my reports using RLS but I want it to reflect on my power query as well. If user 'a' logs in then my reports will filter accordingly because of RLS but I want my power query to display only one row with USER_GUID= 'a'

Is there any other way to achieve this?

ppatel91_0-1664909059591.png

#powerquery #powerBI 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Row-Level Security on a DirectQuery to Power BI dataset composite model: My Findings - RADACAD has a good overview of how to implement it if you are using DQ to the the database. It wouldn't work for DQ to another Power BI dataset (composite model). Just clarifying as DQ now has multiple meanings and is getting confusing.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ppatel91
Helper I
Helper I

Hello Edhans,

Thanks for the Answer! Yes, I am using Direct Query. How would that work with DQ can you explain a bit more?

Row-Level Security on a DirectQuery to Power BI dataset composite model: My Findings - RADACAD has a good overview of how to implement it if you are using DQ to the the database. It wouldn't work for DQ to another Power BI dataset (composite model). Just clarifying as DQ now has multiple meanings and is getting confusing.

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

edhans
Super User
Super User

Not unless you are using Direct Query. Once an import model has been refreshed, Power Query is out of the picture, and PQ doesn't look at any DAX info (RLS Roles) when refreshing. It is a one way street.

But if using DQ, then that info is passed back to the server which has to handle the request and could be filtered, but performance will suffer vs an import model in the vast majority of cases.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors