Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sysmod

Is there a While or Until condition in PQ?

I am writing code to automatically use Workbook Queries in Powerquery to open CSV files, so I am not working through the UI. I write M code in VBA and use that for the query.

I have a method to scan an entire column and infer what the data type is most likely to be.

https://sysmod.wordpress.com/2021/10/28/power-query-infer-data-types-with-table-profile/

That's because PQ has no InferDataType method exposed, although it does determine the type itself if invoked from the UI.

However, it is slow because it runs Expression.Evaluate() on the entire column for all four possible data types - number, date, datetime, text.

One of the parameters is the proportion of errors allowed - eg 0.01 is 1%

Is there a way to shortcut this so the loop stops once the number of errors exceeds this threshold, so that this possible type can be eliminated?

TIA

Patrick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @sysmod ,

the List.Generate function has such a condition in its 2nd argument. But to avoid re-evaluation of the iterated table in each step, you have to use a Table.Buffer. That itself can be a killer on large datasets. So you have to find a balance here. I believe that this is the main dilemma we have in PQ that will prevent any dynamic type detection as you're envisioning running fast on large datasets.

Also, I am not using Table.Profile on large datasets, because the calculation of the standard deviation in it makes it slow. Instead I apply List aggregators for each column only for the fields I really want to see.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @sysmod ,

the List.Generate function has such a condition in its 2nd argument. But to avoid re-evaluation of the iterated table in each step, you have to use a Table.Buffer. That itself can be a killer on large datasets. So you have to find a balance here. I believe that this is the main dilemma we have in PQ that will prevent any dynamic type detection as you're envisioning running fast on large datasets.

Also, I am not using Table.Profile on large datasets, because the calculation of the standard deviation in it makes it slow. Instead I apply List aggregators for each column only for the fields I really want to see.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors