Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DemoFour
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Is there a Character limit for column names when Unpivoting data?

Morning everyone, 

I have a survey from MS forms that comes out with the questions as the column names. I am then indexing these to get the multiple responses over time, before I unpivot my columns to create a fact table. 

The issue that I have is once i have grouped and indexed my table, when I unpivot the columns I am losing text!?
When I look into the steps in the advanced editor, I can see the text is all there, but on Unpivoting the other columns I am losing text. 

Is there any reason for this? 

I have tried lots of different ways to structure my query, but this issue keeps cropping up. If I group and index after I have pivoted the data, then I index all the questions which is not the required output. 

Any ideas please? 

3 REPLIES 3
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

The usual recommendation is to unpivot earlier so your questions and answers are listed long rather than wide.

Pretty sure they have some limit on the column name size, maybe 256 characters or some such.

DemoFour
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @lbendlin

Yes I went on to unpivot and pivot more times than I wanted to get the desired outcome, It was just strange as the original column names came through without a limit, then as soon as I did any transformation work, they then stated to be limited. 

Thanks for posting up your response.  

Looks like this came up before

Column header name size issue - Microsoft Power BI Community

Seems to be inconsistent between Power Query and Power BI.

In the example above the size limit for Power Query is 100 characters.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors