Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

lvallinoto
Frequent Visitor

Is the evaluation step useless?

Hi,

I have a quite complex model, extracting data from a dataflow, and every time I make a change and click on apply , it goes to this evaluation screen, showing no progress at all, and stays like that for a long time.

If I click on cancel ( to cancel the evaluation ), and click on apply changes, then it starts reading data immediatelly ( sometimes it fails, saying there's a blocked query ).

I have the impression this evaluation step is completely useless. If that's the case, is there a way of stopping it from happening?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
edhans
Super User
Super User

No. I have seen it hang as well, and the solution is to stop it and start over with the refresh or apply changes. It never happens in the service, only on the desktop when developing, so it isn't a show stopper, but is annoying I agree.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
edhans
Super User
Super User

No. I have seen it hang as well, and the solution is to stop it and start over with the refresh or apply changes. It never happens in the service, only on the desktop when developing, so it isn't a show stopper, but is annoying I agree.

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Thanks @edhans 

Sometimes Power BI feels like a beta product to me with bugs like this, honestly 

Yeah @lvallinoto - I know what you mean. The product is evolving so fast. Every month there are a ton of new features, but little things like this to get by. I think the team does a ton of testing, and even after the monthly release, there are usually 2-3 minor releases during the month for quick fixes.

But still, things get through. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors