Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Arie
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Is it possible to use parameters for your custom connector in the Power BI Service

Does anyone know if it is possible to use parameters in the Power BI Service, in order to let your custom connector use this value for the datasource?

In Power BI Desktop I have some parameters and by changing this parameters, the custom connector changes the datasource and refreshes with that data. When I try the same in the Power BI Service I get a http 400 error "failed to update parameters values".

In the Fiddler trace I can see this error details:

{
"error": {
"code": "DMTS_UnsupportedConnectionStringError",
"pbi.error": {
"code": "DMTS_UnsupportedConnectionStringError",
"parameters": {},
"details": [],
"exceptionCulprit": 1
}
}
}

I know this is possible with the default connectors, like the SQL database connector. 

But can we use this also with a custom connector?

5 REPLIES 5
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Arie 

Is your "Edit parameter" disabled in Power BI Service, if so, see a similar thread here.

Please check if your report can refresh successfully without managing the parameter.

If there is error when refreshing, please refer to the following guide:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Custom-Data-Connector-How-to-Deploy-and-Test/ba-p/86...

If you still have problems, contact with support team and provide fildder details.

Best Regards
Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-juanli-msft ,

Thanks for your response. 

The custom connector is working fine and refreshing well. The issue is that changing the parameters values gives an error. All parameter are of types Text of Number. Also the parameters are editable.

I noticed that other parameters in the same dataset can be changed, but just 2 parameters that are used in the first 'Source' step in Power Query (the step that calls the custom connector, using this parameters) are giving a 400-error when changing.

Any suggestion how to fix this?

Regards, Arie

Hi,

Did you manage to fix your issue? I face the same issue when changing dataset parameters for my custom connector on PowerBi service

Cheers,

Amit

Hi Amit,

It isn't fixed yet, I am still getting the same error.

Regards, Arie

pjserlet
Frequent Visitor

Hi!

Have you guys found any solution for this? Or are you still facing this problem?

I'm having the same problem. I'm using a custom data connector which calls the Power BI REST API. It has a start and end date as parameters, but it won't update them once its published to the service.

This means also you can't use incremental refresh on custom data connectors?

Best Regards

PJ

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors