Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MarcoW91
Frequent Visitor

Is it possible to replace a row with multiple other rows from an other sheet?

Hi all,

I am new to Power Query and I am wondering if it is possible to create some kind of formula/code/way to be able to replace a row with multiple other rows based on a value and use a value of the old row to multiple a value of the new row.

It looks like this:

WE have a product which has subcomponents

Product 1 Subcomponent 1

Subcomponent 1 is present in an other sheet and has 10 row which have several parameters which are all required.

The aim is to have the product splitted in all the subcomponents and have an indicator of the productnumber in front of those rows of the subcomponents and multiple the amount of subcomponents necessary with the material requirements per subcomponent.

Each subcomponent can be sued in several products and each product can have several subcomponents.

I currently have a Macro based solution, but I am wondering if there is a way in Power Query?

It might look like something like this:

So it is in general showing the sub components in the same list as the products with the correct numbers as we only have the sub components per piece and therefor they need to be multiplied.

Hope below table makes it more clear.

Input       
ProductSub componentPartNameMat use per productTotal Fixed Cost per productVariable Cost per productTotal Costs per product 
123 Labour1112 
123456Mat A3153045 
123789Mat B5454590 
456 Mat X1224 
456 Mat Y2134 
456 Mat Z3257 
789 Mat X1448 
789 Mat Y25510 

Output       
Final ProductProductSub componentPartNameMat use per productFixed Cost per productVariable Cost per productTotal Costs per product
123123 Labour1112
123456 Mat X36612
123456 Mat Y63912
123456 Mat Z961521
123789 Mat X5202040
123789 Mat Y10252550

4 REPLIES 4
edhans
Super User
Super User

Probably, but we need data and expected output. See below.

How to get good help fast. Help us help you.

How To Ask A Technical Question If you Really Want An Answer

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly - Give us a good and concise explanation
How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum - Provide data in a table format per the link, or share an Excel/CSV file via OneDrive, Dropbox, etc.. Provide expected output using a screenshot of Excel or other image. Do not provide a screenshot of the source data. I cannot paste an image into Power BI tables.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Hi,

It might look like something like this:

So it is in general showing the sub components in the same list as the products with the correct numbers as we only have the sub components per piece and therefor they need to be multiplied.

Hope below table makes it more clear.

Input       
ProductSub componentPartNameMat use per productTotal Fixed Cost per productVariable Cost per productTotal Costs per product 
123 Labour1112 
123456Mat A3153045 
123789Mat B5454590 
456 Mat X1224 
456 Mat Y2134 
456 Mat Z3257 
789 Mat X1448 
789 Mat Y25510 

Output       
Final ProductProductSub componentPartNameMat use per productFixed Cost per productVariable Cost per productTotal Costs per product
123123 Labour1112
123456 Mat X36612
123456 Mat Y63912
123456 Mat Z961521
123789 Mat X5202040
123789 Mat Y10252550

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjQyVtJRUgBin8Sk/NIiIMMQCRspxerAFJmYmgFJ38QSBUcgDRIxNAUxDMBySArNLSyhCp2AtClEGkpYGoAVQsxSgCqLgNsGwSZY1ERC5QyhdmNTEwWVM4Jaaw5WA3EOul0mUGyBRU0kkhkgbAh0dCwA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Product = _t, #"Sub component" = _t, PartName = _t, #"Mat use per product" = _t, #"Total Fixed Cost per product" = _t, #"Variable Cost per product" = _t, #"Total Costs per product" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Mat use per product", type number}, {"Total Fixed Cost per product", type number}, {"Variable Cost per product", type number}, {"Total Costs per product", type number}}),
    Product = Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type",each not List.Contains(#"Changed Type"[Sub component],[Product])),
    SubComponent = Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type",each List.Contains(#"Changed Type"[Sub component],[Product])),
    Custom1 = #table({"Final Product"}&Table.ColumnNames(Source),List.Combine(Table.ToList(Product,(x)=>if x{1}=" " then {{x{0}}&x} else List.Transform(Table.ToRows(Table.SelectRows(SubComponent,each [Product]=x{1})),(y)=>{x{0}}&List.FirstN(y,3)&List.Transform(List.Skip(y,3),each _*x{3})))))
in
    Custom1

Thank you very much,

I have a few questions

-When I add new items e.g. It doesn't seem to show up in the end result e.g. below

5657 asdasd1224

-When I connect it to the table from excel I only see the subcomponents showing up replacing the old item but the items without subcomponents are missing, am I doing something wrong?

MarcoW91_0-1627635282945.png

let
Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("C:\Users\MyName\Downloads\Test.xlsx"), null, true),
Table1_Table = Source{[Item="Table1",Kind="Table"]}[Data],
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Table1_Table,{{"Product", Int64.Type}, {"Mat use per product", type number}, {"Total Fixed Cost per product", type number}, {"Variable Cost per product", type number}, {"Total Costs per product", type number}}),
Product = Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type",each not List.Contains(#"Changed Type"[Sub component],[Product])),
SubComponent = Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type",each List.Contains(#"Changed Type"[Sub component],[Product])),
Custom1 = #table({"Final Product"}&Table.ColumnNames(#"Changed Type"),List.Combine(Table.ToList(Product,(x)=>if x{1}=" " then {{x{0}}&x} else List.Transform(Table.ToRows(Table.SelectRows(SubComponent,each [Product]=x{1})),(y)=>{x{0}}&List.FirstN(y,3)&List.Transform(List.Skip(y,3),each _*x{3})))))
in
Custom1

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors