Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

kfarynowski
Frequent Visitor

Is SharePoint 2013 required to be able to do scheduled data refreshes?

Having difficulty scheduling data refreshes, understanding what tools needed.  Attempted to install Personal gateway as another means but seems like something missing in our architecture as it never gets past the install to be able to configure. I have a SQL query in powever pivot, or could put the results in excel, but want to have the other users access the refreshed data without having to do a "refresh". 

2 REPLIES 2
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

No, that is not a requirement, more likely it is this:

Personal Gateway fails to install - Personal Gateway fails to install if the user is in the Administrator group, but group policy does not allow that user to log on as a service.  At the moment, ensure the group policy allows a user to log on as a service. We’re working on a fix for this issue. 

From: https://support.powerbi.com/knowledgebase/articles/666367-troubleshooting-power-bi-personal-gateway

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

You don't need SharePoint for scheduled refreshes. 

You need to install Gateway on a computer on your corporate network that has access to the internet (or your corporate laptop) in order to provide connectivity between your data set in the cloud and your corporate data.

Once that is set up, you can cick on three dots that show up next to the data set name when you mouse over it, then you can click on Schedule refresh and have your data set updated at the desired schedule.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors