Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

User068765
Frequent Visitor

Invalid date error: Resulting value falls outside the range of allowed values

Hello all, 

I have an error relating to dates, which arises from an error in data provided by the user. The user had input 29 February for years which are not leap years. Is there a way to fix this to return the same month and year but for 28th (e.g. 29-Feb-22 changed to 28-Feb-22)? 

I have tried doing #date(Date.Year(x), Date.Month(x), 28), but it seems like Power Query doesn't even recognise it as a date in the first place. 

Thanks in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

On the basis of sample provided by you - Use this formula in a custom column

= try Date.From([Date]) otherwise Date.From(Text.Combine(List.ReplaceValue(Text.Split([Date],"/"),"29","28",Replacer.ReplaceValue),"/"))

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
mussaenda
Super User
Super User

Hi @User068765 ,

You can use the function 

Date.IsLeapYear

you can do a condition like, 

if date is equal to 29 feb and leap year is false then 28 feb else retain the value.

Do correct me if I'm wrong, but I would think that Power Query would need to recognise it as a date field first for this formula to be used. However, Power Query doesn't seem to even recognise this as a date.

For example, if the imported data has the record with a 29/2/2022 field, it will recognise it as "any" data type. To use Date.IsLeapYear, that column has to be recognised as "date" or even "date/time" data type. 

I have tried this by using a custom column and it is giving me an error for the relevant records. 

Do you have any other ideas, perhaps? 

Vijay_A_Verma
Super User
Super User

Can you post your actual data showing how does it look like in your actual dataset?

As the data is confidential, I would prefer not to. It is basically a table with different columns, one of which is a date column containing different dates.

Col1Col2DateCol4
ad1 August 2025x
be29/2/2022y
cf1 January 2030z

Some of the dates are incorrect and invalid, showing a leap day in a non-leap year, e.g. 29 February 2022. I want to make these dates 28 February 20xx (where xx is the relevant year, and in this example it is 2022), while keeping the dates for the other records the same.

On the basis of sample provided by you - Use this formula in a custom column

= try Date.From([Date]) otherwise Date.From(Text.Combine(List.ReplaceValue(Text.Split([Date],"/"),"29","28",Replacer.ReplaceValue),"/"))

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors